addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Blazing the Urban Trail - San Francisco Message Board Random Stuff › Cyclist Spreading Goodwill

Cyclist Spreading Goodwill

A former member
Post #: 2
Earlier in the month, I received an email originating from the Marin Bicycle Coalition warning of law enforcement turning the screw on cyclist running red lights and stop signs in the Marin and Fairfax regions. I have heard of several incidents of cyclist receiving tickets for the above violations ranging in cost from $300 to $400 in addition to points against their drivers license (so if you are a scofflaw cyclist, then you must be a scofflaw driver, therefore punished ten-fold???).

Over the weekend, I rode with a group out to Fairfax and there were cyclist in every direction as far as the eye could see. As another rider and I fell back from the group heading towards Ross, I heard a car approaching behind. I moved single-file to make way, however the car would not pass. Drivers were very accommodating during the day, but this was odd. When my companion turned to see the driver, he stated it was a Sheriff. As we came upon the next stop sign, we made a complete stop, placed one foot on the ground then proceeded through. Low and behold, the officer sped past, made a right turn, and parked himself at the stop sign.

We stopped for lunch then doubled back to catch Canal Path. As we headed out, a lone cyclist shouted, ‘Cop trap ahead’. As the group approached the stop sign, there lurked the officer waiting to pounce. Appreciative of the goodwill bestowed upon us, every rider and group we passed heading towards the potential several hundred dollar ticket, someone in my group shouted a warning, passing the goodwill. Riders acknowledged their gratitude, and I hope they continued to pass it along.

As the receiver of a lengthy ad-nauseum lecture on the virtue of yielding to jay-walking pedestrians by the Park Police, luckily, that was the extent of my punishment. Sometimes fellow cyclists are trying to beat that best time or some are meandering along enthralled in a conversation. Remember to take a moment to spread the goodwill, it is appreciated, and it can be contagious.