addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Blazing the Urban Trail - San Francisco Message Board Ride Reports › Butterlap Novella: June 2.

Butterlap Novella: June 2.

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 7
Aahh...butterlap. Cycling. Great combination. Last night's butterlap. Fun. Weird. Long. Foggy. Misty. Raccoons. Fox. Attack sprinkler.

My bright idea to include my cellie number paid off and created a tad bit of confusion for me. The number of calls and text messages I received before 7 got me a bit confused and subsequently I lost track of who's who. For those who showed up and I didn't get a chance to meet and chat with, my profound apologies. I hope you had loads of fun with the other lappers and will come out for future butters. AND my apologies for this novella of a review.

That being said, this is what happened on last night's fun Butter for me. Got a text message 'I'm here'. I thought, incorrectly, that all in the meetup group was here and we'll get to introduce ourselves and chat during the ride. Around Pier 39, got a call from Jamie & Laurent (sorry if I mispelt name) who just parked and is around Northpoint area. Oops, guess there are more meetuppers. No problem, meet us around Fisherman's Wharf and merge with the big group of riders...approximately 20+ riders. Got to the park at Fort Mason (which I always, INCORRECTLY, call Marina Green Park)...get a call from Laurent/Jamie, still waiting back at the Fisherman's Wharf/North Point area. Uh oh, okay, no problem I'll double back and join up with them and push on with the ride. As the lappers pushed on, I double back. Got a call from John...ummm, so John's at the Marina green. No worries, I say, I'm doubling back to get Laurent/Jamie. Why don't you just merge with the big group of riders and enjoy. John decides to wait for Laurent/Jamie and myself. Okay, watch out for me in a green 'Surly'.

Met Jamie/Laurent around Fisherman's Wharf and start heading toward the Marina Green. Ride up toward a gentlemen looking 'down' on his phone instead of looking out 'me on a green Surly'. "John?!" Oh hi! Pleasantries all around, we push on. Somewhere along the Marina Green, we stumble into Nieam who was going the opposite direction! Foggy. Misty. Doesn't look fun. "Aaww, come on. I've got beer. I'll share later." So Nieam decides to join up and we ride on. We are now a party of five...miss that show!

Second stop of the route somewhere along Lincoln/Coastal Trail. Beautiful view! Beautiful!...according to John. Thick fog can be beautiful. On we go. Through Sea Cliff and finally at the Legion of Honor. Reward. Beer. Good conversation. "Oooh, John. It's beautiful. Sexy lines. So light". Yah, John's bike was lucky. Got a lot of attention and fondling from the ladies. Beer was good too. My favorite beer of the moment. Laurent and John...if you're interested, it's called 'Burton Baton' and available at your local Whole Foods.

Got a voicemail from Ricky. Thanks for looking out/concerns! Hope you and Chris and other meetuppers had fun. Pushed on toward the Great Highway, down to Ocean Beach. Fun, fun, fun...love going fast. Down a hill. *Shit eating grin* inducing moment. Almost pooped my pants at the end when I turned around and realized that John was behind me. Was not expecting that. Thank goodness sphincter muscles are still in great working order. Sorry, TMI.

Riding along JFK through Golden Gate Park. What's that in the middle of the road?! "Ummm, it's a goblin." John and his freakish fascination for goblins. It's a raccoon on its hind legs. Looks like a freakishly small bear. It decides we're peaceful aliens and decides to meander off to the side. Hey, there's another one. Cool. Raccoons. In a park. In the middle of Urbana. Double cool. Later up the road, what's that? A baby crawling along? Giant slug? It was foggy. Those of us with glasses were a bit handicapped. Our visibility was anywhere from 10 feet to 40 feet. Thank goodness for the occasional wipe-off, so cleared vision for about 5 minutes. Back to the crawling dark mass. It's a fox! Wow. How cool. I really *heart* San Francisco.

Riding through the panhandle, we notice that the fog was getting thinner. Cool. cool. cool. Our glasses will stop being misted up shortly. *Snick snick snick* *whirr whirr whirr*. *Splash splash* Sprinklers are on along the panhandle. I can't see very well but judging from the splash marks along the bike path and the sounds, there's a sprinkler that's off it's water route and spraying the path. Brace yourself, brace yourself, wait for it, wait for it. *Splat splat*. There it is. Just got accosted by an errant sprinkler. Funny. Funnier to hear the other four's reaction when hit by said sprinkler. Sprinkler five, friendly humans zero.

We parted ways when we got to the Civic Center area. John, I hope you had a good time and hopefully I'll see you in future butters. Oh yeah, sexy bike. I'm still thinking of the white spokes. Jamie and Laurent, it was really good to meet you two. Hope it was worth the effort coming from the South Bay. If you decide to ride in future Butters, may I suggest a charged light?...Jamie. Nieam, really nice to meet you. I'm glad you decided to turn around and continue riding instead of heading home. Talk to me about pilates and yoga next time. If there's a next time.

11:00 p.m...reached the steps outside my building. That was one long and fun Butter. Next week is another story.

Ricky: You got dropped?! That sucks! I'm sorry you got dropped. We should discuss this next time...if there's a next time for you. I will have a beer with your name on it!

Ricky B.
rickybrent
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Nice! I'm glad to hear you guys were able to have a great ride, too.

And naw, I made it to the bar and had a great time; I was worried we had dropped you. :) The fog really was thick, but it was a lot of fun.
A former member
Post #: 8
Glad to hear you weren't dropped! I wouldn't say I, or the five of us were dropped. I doubled back to hook up with Laurent and Jamie. By the time we hooked up and headed toward the next stop, stumbled into John and Nieam, I had a feeling that we would never be able to catch up with the main group. Oh well, "life is like a box of chocolates..."

I will still have a beer with your name on it next week. Appreciate you looking out for me/us.

Nice! I'm glad to hear you guys were able to have a great ride, too.

And naw, I made it to the bar and had a great time; I was worried we had dropped you. :) The fog really was thick, but it was a lot of fun.