align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Singapore Linux Meetup Group Message Board › resizing "configure panel" window?

resizing "configure panel" window?

victor tan(used2b ...
tiger40490
Singapore, SG
Post #: 15
Using Fedora Core 2 on a small laptop. Trying to configure the "panel" at the bottom of the desktop.

Right-click on the panel, choose "configure panel", and you get a pop-up configuration window. Problem is, the window is too long for my (12") LCD, so the OK/Cancel buttons are inaccessible. As a result, the panel cannot be configured.

Tried resizing the window with the mouse pointer. No effect.

Now trying to increase the resolution from 1280x1024, but is there a way to resize that window?

Thanks in advance for any help.

victor
victor tan(used2b ...
tiger40490
Singapore, SG
Post #: 16
increasing resolution doens't work. After the increase, the "configure panel" window is still too long for the LCD.

On a bigger laptop, I have no such problem, but the resolution is only 1024x768.

What I will try: connect a CRT monitor to the laptop.
victor tan(used2b ...
tiger40490
Singapore, SG
Post #: 17
Found a not-so-convenient solution -- Alt-O to simulate a mouse click on the OK button. It worked but you must know there's an OK button with O as the shortcut key.

I should add that the I am using KDE.

Looks like other configuration windows also do not support height resize, whereas width resize is supported but with a minimum width.

Missing from the design is the scroll bar. With the scroll bar, any small LCD will be able to display any large window. But this is really for the developers.

Putting on the linux-critic's hat, I would doubt how many average home-user, office-user, business-people, teachers .. have the time, patience and experience to know and try these suggestions before they give up? I think user's patence is wafer-thin. Create a single (but major) obstacle, and they turn back to the familiar comfort-zone. With all the viruses and crashes, I still find Windows more usable as a desktop. Some Linux supporters may not like me. This is a genuine voice of a user, standing indepdendent of any camp.

victor