The Singapore Linux Meetup Group Message Board › ubuntu 5.0.4 on IBM thinkpad T42 (dual boot with XP)

ubuntu 5.0.4 on IBM thinkpad T42 (dual boot with XP)

Darrel C.
darrelchua
Singapore, SG
Post #: 16
Finally got the time to do some linux work this past holiday weekend.

Installed Ubuntu 5.0.4 on my IBM Thinkpad T42 which already had Windows XP installed.
Created new partition ("/boot", "/" and "/swap") to cater for the new baby.

Installation was pretty smooth but because of my wireless LAN setting, it hung a long time trying to connect to internet ("repository") to look for updates - don't give up - just wait.

When it comes to GRUB, I chose to install on my /dev/hda5 which is my /boot partition - I didn't want it in my MBR (Master Boot Record).

As I didn't have a floppy, the rest is really quite harder work. Had to use a linux rescue CD to boot into my laptop, then do a dd to extract the boot sector of the "/boot" partion
" dd if=/dev/hda5 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1 "

Now I mounted an external USB drive ("mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb1") and copied the output file /bootsect.lnx to my USB drive.

- Reboot to windows XP and copied the bootsect.lnx to c:\.
- Made backup of boot.ini and changed attrbitue of c:/boot.ini to allow writing.
- Added this line to boot.ini
"c:\bootsect.lnx ="Ubuntu Linux" <<<< substitute bootsect.lnx to whatever u named it in the dd stage.

Change attribute of file to write protect it. Reboot and you should see the option added to the XP boot manager "NTLDR", select Ubuntu Linux.

Impression:
Presto! Ubuntu looks really good! Nice GUI.
- Most things worked out of the box - including the Intel PRO a/b/g wireless LAN.
- The part without the root user account takes a bit of getting used to.
- Had to permanently mount windows partition myself
- If you are on Ubuntu - you need to check out the excellent Ubuntu Guide
- Ubuntu is fork off Debian - so u need to be real good friend with "Alien" to convert RPM to Debian package
- I had a bit of fun trying to install Star Office 8 Beta but managed to get it going ( I removed Open Office)

All in all, Ubuntu seems to leave up to the hype I see on the web...user friendly, and almost close to windows replacement...

Alas, the project I am working on requires FC3 - so i probably have to ditch it to install FC3 cos running out of diskspace..