align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Singapore Linux Meetup Group Message Board › SLMG has a new organizer and remains free for enthusiasts

SLMG has a new organizer and remains free for enthusiasts

Tom G.
tomgohj
Group Organizer
Singapore, SG
Hi All Enthusiasts,

As the new organizer of the SLMG group, I would like to briefly introduce myself and bring everyone up to date on the latest developments at SLMG. The last month was a little rocky for the group and I am glad to say that we have resolved all our differences and SLMG is here to stay.

As for me, my name is Tom Goh and go by the alias Jerry Giraffe. Yes you might be wondering why my alias is so strange so here goes. Jerry Giraffe was a fictional name mentioned in a very funny movie called Super Trooper done by Broken Lizard Comedy Troupe (http://www.brokenliza...­, its not a main character or anything but it came to mind when I was signing up. Other from that I am a Linux enthusiast who has been using it for home and work related stuff since 1999. I am by no means an expert but intend on being one at some point, hopefully the Meetup group can help me out!!!

As you may already know, Meetup.com has recently started to charge a membership fee for access to its services. In the last meeting we had a discussion about whether to move or stay and I am glad to say that we have decided to stay and have secured funding for the next year. Big thanks for those people who have volunteered to fund SLMG. I am positive that this is a good move and it will help to grow our already thriving group. I look forward to many more useful presentations and discussions and hope that SLMG can start to be a major catalyst to Linux use in Singapore.

Apart from all that I would like to help, along with your participation, bring greater diversity to our group, participate in more non-profit work, and help educate “non-believers”. Anyway I hope to see more of you next month where we have a great presentation by Glenn West on using Embedded Linux.

Please feel free to contact me at anytime and I hope to see all of you there in June.

Tom
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Tom,

This is chenglim. Hope you remember me. I have told my polytechnic lecturer to borrow us the place for next meeting. Hopefully we can get. Will get back to you once it is approved.

Ngee Ann Polytechnic is near Bukit Timah Road. Should be quite easy to reach there.

I need information like how many of you are coming. Estimated amount will be good enough. Thanks.
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Tom,

Do you know what's the Novell Linux Guy name again? I would like to do some write up for him in those area he cannot get people to write.. he he..

Anyway I have 5 years Linux industry working experince. I am application developer and also application user for most of the Linux distro, BSD and Sun also.

I believe my experience might help him to do a better write up. At least I can do the fair comparison for the distro. Becuase I use anything.

Please give me his contacts or he can reach me from teochenglim@yahoo.com

regards,
chenglim