addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Singapore Linux Meetup Group Message Board › Non-Profit Open Source Organization

Non-Profit Open Source Organization

Tom G.
tomgohj
Group Organizer
Singapore, SG
Post #: 32
Hi All,

Louis and I are interested in registering a non-porifit organization that is dedicated to promoting and tracking Open Source Software (OSS) in Singapore. Our primary goals would be to Survey yearly the OSS lanscape in Singapore, build membership, provide a monthly newsletter, and to provide a web site for members to use interactively.

In order to register as a society in Singapore we would require a minimum of 10 members, of which we have a Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer.

We are currently looking for members to join us and to come up with a name. If you are interested in joining please let me know and I will add your name to our form. As for a name we would like your suggestions. We would like to have a somewhat catchy Acronym that stands for the promotion of OSS, so if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Here are some words that we came up with that may help: Open Source, Open Source Software, Project, Promotion, Advancement, Singapore, Society, Organization, commumity, Rally, Spirit, building, freedom. libre, free, Alternative, Initiative, Movement, advocacy, liberty, foundation, ...

Some Names that we have come up with

MAOS - Movement for the Advancement of Open Source software - Pronounced as Mouse
MOSS - Movement for Open Source Software
POSSe - Promotion of Open Source Software E(can't think of some thing)
OSP - Open Source Project

Also if you or your company has any interest in sponsoring us, please let me know. We are currently interested in web site space, hardware, bandwidth, software.

Tom
A former member
Post #: 5
I'm definitely interested, had considered doing something like this a few months back. A few things:
- Who's Louis? :)
- For a society, don't we need a President, Vice President, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, Treasurer and Assistant Treasurer?
- I like the sound of MOSS, probably better than being MAO(S)ists :)
- For the 'e' in POSSE, how about:
* Eccentric: For the long-haired toe-cheese pickers in the OSS community
* Enslavement: For those with an interest in BDSM and other implementations of BSD
* Empowerment/Equality/Ethos: For real, the only serious ones I could come up with
* Epitaphs: For those who think BSD is dying
* Eschewing: For the Microsoft fans in the audience
* Etiquette: For the 'just-fucking-google-it' among us

I'm going to stop reading the dictionary now, my head hurts.
Tom G.
tomgohj
Group Organizer
Singapore, SG
Post #: 33
Hi James,

Louis was the organizer for the Redhat and PHP Meetup group. I have since taken over both of them and made him the assistant organizer for them.

I am not exactly sure what is required for a Society, I am just going on what Louis has told me.

- I like the sound of MOSS, probably better than being MAO(S)ists :)
>> That what we thought, but it does sound cool. I guess OSSLF would be out of it as well OSS Liberation Front. Better to not stir the water too much ;). I like MOSS tho, but POSSE is starting to sound better and better.

- For the 'e' in POSSE, how about:
* Empowerment/Equality/Ethos: For real, the only serious ones I could come up with

POSSE
Pronunciation: 'pä-sE
Function: noun
Etymology: Medieval Latin posse comitatus, literally, power or authority of the county
1 : a large group often with a common interest
2 : a body of persons summoned by a sheriff to assist in preserving the public peace usually in an emergency
3 : a group of people temporarily organized to make a search (as for a lost child)

Project/Partnership for OSS Empowerment/Equality/Excellence

TOM
A former member
Post #: 18
Count me in; sounds cool.
Roy O.
royong
Singapore, SG
Post #: 17
Hi Tom,

I think this is a great idea but is it necessary to register this as an official society at this stage? I mean, there are legal issues involved, especially running AGMs, proper accounting, auditing etc. Perhaps it would be better to start it off as an informal collection of individuals with a common cause, gaining momentum before plunging into registering a society.

My 2 cents.
ruiwen
ruiwen
Singapore, SG
Post #: 1
I'm in if it goes through =)
Jeremy
jlaush
Singapore, SG
Hi all,

May be can just simply call: OSS Singapore. Someone has just registered the domain oss.org. Not sure whether it is meant for OSS purpose. May be can use oss.org.sg.

Cheers

Regards,
J. Lau
victor tan(used2b ...
tiger40490
Singapore, SG
Post #: 21
Hi Tom and Louis,

Count me as a supporter.

As to the name.. am a foreigner and English is my second language. Some words are rare and hard to pronounce (I guess they look more unique and "cool" though). A simpler word is easier to remember, like "MOSS".

For an example of a non-ideal name, I feel pronounciation of "Linux" has caused so much confusion. Does the confusion help stimulate minds? Maybe Linus Torvald didn't bother to "design" a perfect name for his personal pet project.

I could be leaving Singapore soon, so my "preference" is unimportant, but maybe it's shared by other foreigners? At the end of the day, our members are mostly non-native speakers of English.

Commendable effort, Worthy cause.

Victor Tan Bin
Tom G.
tomgohj
Group Organizer
Singapore, SG
Post #: 37
Hi All,

Came up with a few more possible names

SOSS - State of Open Source Software

SOLS - State of Linux Singapore (tho not OSS related0
Francis K.
weewen
Singapore, SG
Hi Tom

Sure. Count me in too.

POSSe - Promotion of Open Source Software for Everyone/Enterprise

I thought there was another working on the same ideas... SOSA mooted by Resolvo Systems and backed by several other corporate biggies

http://www.idg.com.sg...­

Cheers
Francis Kwang