addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Singapore Linux Meetup Group Message Board › Installed Ubuntu 5.10 on Gateway Laptop-Useful!

Installed Ubuntu 5.10 on Gateway Laptop-Useful!

Kang Ghee K.
kangghee
Singapore, SG
Post #: 1
"What about creating our down distros? Would anyone like to start a new distro together with me? We can even help LUGS by creating a liveCD branded with LUGS on it...."

Read Linux Format, Christmas Edition, last week. Installed Ubuntu on the Gateway Laptop recently acquired, installs like magic, works trustworthily. Very impressed with this.

Previously tried to install Debian on Fujitsu Lifebook and screen simply cannot reach the right resolution. Probably because I don't know how to configure, but more likely because the driver is not there but I have no time to search for it. Other than that, it worked well too.

And of course tried the liveCDs, latest one tried is the DSL (Damn Small Linux) one, which resides on a card sized CD. No installation required for this one, and it did not affect my harddisk data at all. Very useful when I just need to get into a system to extract a little file, then get out again. And mind you, that was especially useful when one of my computers seized up and there was no other way to back up the important files on that.

The next thing to try is the Knoppix CD I've been downloading from the site.

And more importantly, since I teach Robotics and Programming to students in primary and secondary schools, it will be great if I can program the Lego Mindstorm robots and other robots we have using Linux itself. That will be a boon to business directly. Must find time to explore this indeed.

What about creating our down distros? Would anyone like to start a new distro together with me? We can even help LUGS by creating a liveCD branded with LUGS on it. That way, we can help spread Linux even further to anyone interested. Or is there a group doing it already that I can learn from? Won't like my friends to play with Linux, not just Windows and Macs, that will give them another choice, a free one too!

Kang
ELPMIS Consultancy
www.elpmis.com
A former member
Post #: 9
biggrin Linux Distro? sounds fun but doubt you have time to do it. Since you are lazy to find a Debian driver for Fujitsu Lifebook, would you able to give a minimun support for the distro you been created?

Or you are talking about changing the flash screen of the installer only?

I might able to help for the application installer part. But no to the OS level.
Kang Ghee K.
kangghee
Singapore, SG
Post #: 2
Overall, I believe the goal is to push Linux out to as many friends as possible.

Guess chenglim is right. Definitely no time to support a totally new distro.

Maybe just limit ourselves to creating a LiveCD branded with LUGS on it. Minimal wishlist:
1. LUGS branded flash screen of the installer
2. LUGS branded Default index file
3. LUGS branded Login screen
4. LUGS branded Default wall paper
5. Selected applications that MOST of our members find useful. We can start with the default list, then add on and remove after our friends evaluate the first cut.

Shall we start with Knoppix then? Just downloaded that.
Lionel K.
lionelkoh
Singapore, SG
Post #: 3
I suggest you should start with just Debian with Synaptics Package Manager. wink

And customised whatever Graphics you want...