addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Seattle Shakespeare (Etc!) Readthrough Group Message Board Archive › "Macbeth" recap and announcing "The Comedy of Errors"

"Macbeth" recap and announcing "The Comedy of Errors"

Andrew J.
user 8248246
Woodford, GB
Our first meeting at my house was an overwhelming success - great turnout (16 people, which is almost certainly a record for the group) a heart-wrenching play and a superb set of voices. We also had exactly the right number of chairs - you have no idea how happy that made me. Afterwards a few of us stayed around and played a round of "The Game of Shakespeare" (a Ludo/Parcheesi variant where you get bonus moves by being able to name characters from a play or being able to name which play a quote comes from) which was some good fun though it did take a bit longer than I had thought it would - I think if we want to play it again we might want to set up a special meetup for it.

One minor problem is that my basement/office is a bit lacking in the light department. I'll see if I can scrounge up some extra lights and/or a stronger bulb for next time. If you have something like a floor-standing lamp that you can easily bring for next time please do let me know.

Next time: Antipholus of Syracuse has a servant, Dromio of Syracuse, and (unbeknownst to him) a long lost identical twin brother, Antipholus of Ephesus, who has a servant, Dromio of Ephesus who is the long lost identical twin brother of his master's brother's servant. This would all be of no consequence except for the fact that the Syracusans have just arrived in Ephesus. What could possibly go wrong?

This is one of Shakespeare's earliest, shortest and most farcical comedies. It's not one of his best loved but it's a lot of silly fun.

My house is easy to get to from the #2, #8 and #11 bus lines and there is plentiful free street parking. You're welcome to bring whatever you'd like to eat and/or drink. I'm aware that some people might be hesitant to meet at a private house rather than a public place (especially those who haven't been to a reading before) - if this describes you please let me know (the more people we have for whom this is the case, the harder I'll try to find a new location).

For more details, see the full listing: http://www.meetup.com/shakespeare-50/events/55163462/­

When: Saturday, March 17, 2012 1:00 PM

Where: Andrew's house, Madison Valley
104 31st Ave E (between E Denny Way and E John St, the brown house with 2 car garage)
Seattle, WA 98112
206-329-2847

It's not necessary to read the play beforehand, but it's easier to understand what's going on if you familiarize yourself with the plot first. Please bring copies of the text if you have them, but if you don't then don't worry about it - someone might bring multiple copies and at a pinch there's always somebody who doesn't mind sharing.

This play is quite short and will probably only take about 1.5 hours to read. With distribution of parts, introductions, interval and discussion, we'll probably be done by about 4pm.

After we finish the play, attendees will be able to vote on the next play that we read (for the March 31st meeting). I think it'll be tragedy time again - I suggest we choose between Romeo and Juliet (which we haven't read for a long time) and Timon of Athens (which we've never read). Though if anybody has any particular requests please let us know.