Seattle Indie Comic and Game Artists Message Board › Sicaga Anthology Comic Book!

Sicaga Anthology Comic Book!

Kiri
user 50988612
Seattle, WA
Post #: 1
Lulu's quality is pretty decent too, but color printing will set you back a loooooooot. I think it's easier to do an on-demand service because then essentially you can have both -- let people order online and/or order in bulk yourself to distribute on a local level.
Laura
Arithmetica
Seattle, WA
Post #: 3
The project itself would be funded by anyone who is participating and we can try to do a Kickstarter or something else to get additional donations from friends and family if the group of us can't come up with enough money to print a book.

For distribution I'm not very familiar with the online vendors you guys mentioned but I'm open to that :D

What I had imagine is that we would print something like say a 1,000 copies and split the copies among those that participated to sell, trade and do as they please with.

However I thought a portion could be kept to sell some via the Sicaga.com site and at conventions since Jeremy normally puts together a Sicaga table for some of the local conventions. The money that comes from those copies could go towards a Sicaga bank account of some sort and be used to help pay for the costs of maintaining the Sicaga website, the meetup.com fees and other costs associated with the group. Right now Jeremy has been paying out of pocket and this could help alleviate that burden off of him. The money made could also be used to help pay for any special future Sicaga events too.
A former member
Post #: 21
Lulu's quality is pretty decent too, but color printing will set you back a loooooooot. I think it's easier to do an on-demand service because then essentially you can have both -- let people order online and/or order in bulk yourself to distribute on a local level.
Yeah, for B&W, Lulu and Createspace are both great options. But for color you HAVE to do it in larger runs for it to make even the slightest bit of economic sense. (And Keness makes a lot of economic sense.)

One of the core values where I work is "plan for success." Don't make decisions based on failing - that is, don't do something that optimizes for the short term that ONLY makes sense in the short term. Starting out with a POD service is fine, but be prepared to do a rush job on a batch printer if interest is higher than expected. The sooner you can cut over from Lulu making 90% of the profit to the creators making 90% of the profit, the better.