Sign Off Your Skillset Saturday, Dec. 7th. 9am - 5pm, Event Leaders will be available to sign off member proficiency. Join SMC here!
Proficiency sign off better qualifies you to participate in technical events and prepares you to take the next level training.
This is an opportunity to sign off portions of the following skillsets:
RCK 1 - Level 1 Rock Climbing
RCK 2 - Level 2 Rock Climbing
RCK 3 - Level 3 Rock Climbing
MTN 1 - Level 1 Mountaineering
So what exactly can be passed off in each skillset? CLICK HERE FOR THE COMPLETE SKILLSET LIST
This is an official SMC Event only for demonstrating proficiency to achieve sign off. It has no requirements for attendance, other than you bring your SMC Member handbook and any equipment you will need to demonstrate your skills and knowledge. We'll have some SMC gear there for those who don't have a particular item, and if you haven't received your SMC handbook yet we'll provide one.
The queue will be first-come, first-serve. If we have an overwhelming number of folks we'll figure out a way to avoid having people standing around waiting for an EL, either by staggering times or using time limits, so we can get to everyone.
Since this event does not have any requirements or payments, RSVPs will be handled here on Meetup. At this point, there is no limit to the number of folks who can attend.
DIRECTIONS TO AUBURN QUARRY
Auburn Quarry is a newly re-opened climbing area just east of Auburn, CA, thanks to the efforts of CRAGS and The Access Fund.
The lat-long pinpoint location in this posting (above) is accurate. Its the green arrow. To get there:
1.Drive I-80 to the Elm Avenue exit in Auburn.
2. At the light, turn left (east) toward downtown Auburn.
3. Turn left on High Street, which is CA Hwy 193/49 towards Cool and Foresthill.
4. Follow through the next light and out of town and down the canyon as it becomes Eldorado Street / Golden Chain Highway.
5. When you reach the confluence, turn right over the bridge SE continuing on CA 193/49 toward Cool.
6. After driving approx. 4/10th of a mile, turn left at the sign unto on a dirt entrance and down into the parking area.
This is the Auburn State Recreation Area. There is a fee to park here. Or you can park off the highway just below and walk in for free.
7. From the parking lot, head SE through a metal gate and hike along the river for approx. 1 mile until you see a steep side road to the right near a large concrete tower structure. Some folks bring a bike because the trail is a flat wide road.
8. Take the steep hill, turn right at the tee and continue uphill as it switchbacks and reaches the Quarry.
We will be located at the Scale Wall on the left and the Memorial Wall on the right.
Check out this free online guidebook to the Auburn Quarry:
Auburn Quarry Climbing Guide by Aaron Rough
Questions, Suggestions? Post your comments below, or contact Darren Shutt, SMC Mountaineering Director at [masked] or [masked]
See you there!