Sierra Mountaineering Club’s Annual Dinner, Climbing (and Sign-Off!) event this year will be held at the Donner Summit crags and Clair Tappaan Lodge.
At the end of the season each year we gather up to swap stories, break bread and enjoy some laughs together. EVERYONE is invited. Besides an amazing meal, we've got some exciting things planned!
• First, we'll have a good portion of the day to climb at the Donner Summit crags. ELs will be on hand to sign-off RCK 1 skillset and selected Rock 2 skillsets. For those who would rather relax at the lodge, we'll have some leisure time in the library or great room, then a movie, The Wildest Dream. Also:
• There will be a raffle to WIN a brand new Black Diamond Cam. Raffle tickets will be for sale ($5 cash only) to raise money for replacing club gear, and:
• Darren will present a preview of all 2014 expeditions, training courses and peaks on deck, as well as:
• Engaging slideshows and trip reports from ELs and team members, recapping our adventures and mis-adventures from this last year.
• SMC Membership packets will be distributed to all who attend, which will contain your member handbook, 2014 schedule, and yes, there will be brand new SMC stickers!
• Three 2013 expedition videos will be unveiled - our own private screening, complete with popcorn.
• And of course, we'll enjoy a delicious dinner where we will toast our year together!
All levels of climbers, spouses, significant others and families are welcome. Good food! Great company! Meet new club members and old club members!
There is an option to spend the night at Clair Tappaan Lodge in either a two-person room or the men or women’s dormitories. $55 / $60 gets you an overnight stay which includes dinner, breakfast, sack lunch. Please contact CTL directly to make your reservation. SMC will reimburse you $10 RSVP if you go this route.
You don't want to miss it. Please RSVP with $10 per person and join us for our special night!
Date, Time: November 16th, 9am - late. Dinner is from 6:00 - 7:00pm
Location: Sierra Club's historic Clair Tappaan Lodge
Address: 19940 Donner Pass Road, Norden, CA 95724
Cost: $10 for dinner and RSVP. If you'd like to stay overnight, it's $55 - 60, which includes Saturday dinner, Sunday breakfast and a sack lunch for Sunday. Make your reservations early.
ITINERARY OF EVENTS
SATURDAY @ Donner Summit Crags (School Rock, Snowshed Wall, etc.)
9:00 am - 4:30 pm Sign offs / rock climbing at Donner Summit for RCK 1 and RCK 2
SATURDAY @ Clair Tappaan Lodge Living Room:
9:00am – 1:00 Leisure time in the Clair Tappaan library or living room
1:00 – 3:00 Free movie and popcorn! We'll watch The Wildest Dream, a riveting Nat Geo documentary about solving the mystery of the first ascent of Mt. Everest...in 1924.
3:30 – 4:30 Slideshows and trip reports from event leaders and team members, recounting the highs and "not-so highs" of our epic 2013 climbing season
4:45 – 5:45 Darren, SMC Mountaineer Director will present the 2014 climbing season preview. We'll distribute new membership packets which will contain Member handbook, stickers, and 2014 schedule brief. Then we'll have a slideshow of 2014 expedition dates and locations. In addition, we'll view major peaks and routes and training courses dates and locations
5:45 – 6:00 Raffle drawing - win a brand new BD Cam!
SATURDAY @ Clair Tappaan Dining Room:
6:00pm – 6:45 Dinner! Chicken stir-fry, rice, salad and dessert. Vegetarian available. $10
6:45 – 8:00 Exclusive screening of expedition videos from North Cascades, Grand Teton, and Mt. Jefferson Expeditions.
Afterward Social time in the wonderful Clair Tappaan living room around the stone fireplace. Bring your own beverage – CTL does not provide, but does allow, adult beverages. Please drive responsibly.
SUNDAY @ Clair Tappaan:
7:30 AM Make your own sack lunch in the Clair Tappaan living room
8:00 AM Breakfast in dining room of Clair Tappaan Lodge
Don't miss it!
Here is a map of the access for the Clair Tappaan Lodge. Yellow indicates parking areas for the lodge on Hwy 40. Red indicates the walkways to the lodge entrances. The shorter walkway takes you to the basement entrance - then just go up the stairs to the next level. The longer walkway takes you to the nicer entrance and to the level where the dinner, presentations and movie will be held.