LIGHT AND FAST CLIMBING: Join us for an evening skills seminar detailing how to strip down to the essentials and cover more ground in the mountains and the trail with ease and effectiveness. This class applies to all light and fast pursuits, whether climbing, backpacking or scrambling.
Grab a bite to eat and let's start counting ounces. We'll show you how to get any pack down to under 30 lbs without sacrificing safety or the necessities. We'll give out a summary table hand out to accompany a digital presentation. We'll have all the gear there, and a scale will be used. Proficiency sign off on portions of MTN 1, MTN 2, MTN 3 available. Open to all! Please sign up here on Meetup or if you are a member you can also sign up on the SMC website for convenience. Membership is not required to attend this event.
TO FEDERAL AND STATE LAND USE AGENCIES, OUR MEMBERS AND THE GENERAL PUBLIC: Sierra Mountaineering Club is a 501(c)7 not-for-profit social and recreational club. Our mission is to be a community where people connect, learn and climb together. This is an official club-sponsored training held in Roseville. If you would like to contact the club, please call (916)[masked] or [masked].
• Focused discussion, question and answer, digital visual presentation, and hands-on activities from 7:30 - 9:00 pm.
• Seminar attendance includes a handout detailing how to cut weight from every category in your pack.
• Proficiency sign off available from 7:00 - 7:30 pm. Bring your member handbooks - any skills you demonstrate will be documented. This event specifically addresses portions of MTN 1, MTN 2, and MTN 3. View and print member handbook here.
• Grab a bite to eat! Round Table Pizza
• SMC T-Shirts for sale at this event!
LIGHT AND FAST CORE SKILLS SEMINAR CURRICULUM
► The Test: functional, multi-use, lightweight
► The Goal: 30/30/30
► The heavyweights: water, fuel, food, ropes, tent, boots and technical gear
Your Arsenal Part 1: Clothing
► Materials: nylon, polyester, polypropolene, wool, fleece, spandex
► Recommended layers
§ Socks and gaiters
§ Mid-layer jacket and pants
§ Shell jacket and pants
► More considerations:
§ Insulating parkas
§ Softshell revolution
§ Waterproof vs. water resistant
► Headwear: touque, balaclava, sun hat, glasses, goggles
► Hands: gloves, liners, and mittens
Your Arsenal Part 2: Equipment
► Sleeping bags and pads
► Stoves, cookset, fuel
§ Floorless tents
§ Planned bivouacs
► Miscellaneous and personal items
§ Map and Compass
§ Snow shovels
§ Stuff /compression sacks
§ Water bottles
§ Sunscreen, lip balm
§ Eating and utensils
§ Knives, lighters
§ Watches, altimeters
§ Water purification
§ First Aid Kits
§ Cell Phones
► The “Ten Essentials” interpreted
Your Arsenal Part 3: Climbing Gear
► Ice axes
► Ice tools
► Trekking poles
► Ropes and cordage
§ Personal leash
► Hardware and protection
§ Snow pickets
§ Ice screws
§ Passive rock protection
§ Active rock protection
Food and Water
► Water strategies and considerations
► Food varieties
► Selecting food
► Lunches and Snacks
Useful books and websites
• SEMINAR FEE: $20, open to all
• DATE: July 24th, 2014
• LOCATION: Round Table Pizza
• INSTRUCTOR: Darren Shutt, [masked], (916)[masked]
• MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM GROUP SIZE: Minimum 4, Maximum 25
• PROFICIENCY SIGN OFF AVAILABLE: Portions of MTN 1, MTN 2, MTN 3
HOW TO REGISTER FOR SMC CORE SKILLS SEMINARS:
1. Visit SMC on Meetup: www.meetup.com/sierramountaineeringclub
2. Find the Core Skills Seminar you want
3. RSVP and pay the seminar fee
SMC T-Shirts for sale at this event!
Support the club by wearing these T-shirts with pride! http://www.sierramountaineeringgroup.org/news/231/smc-t-shirts-whitney-and-shasta. $25, 100% Cotton, Adult sizes S, M, L, XL
Sierra Mountaineering Club is a 501(c)7 not-for-profit social and recreational mountaineering club. Our mission is to be a community where people connect, learn and climb together.
For more information or questions about this event, please contact the listed SMC instructor.