Red Slate Mountain. A true mountaineers peak with a 1,000 ft couloir and 40 degree snow and ice. We've had our eye on this one for far too long. It's time to put together a team and bag this bad boy. Maximum 6 intermediate/advanced climbers.
All climbers selected for this team must meet the pre-requisites.
How RSVPs work: If you believe you meet the pre-requisites, please add yourself to the waitlist and answer the questions. Everyone will be evaluated by the organizer and a final team selected.
Prospective members who have joined on Meetup but not yet paid for any membership may attend one event for free. Beyond this, you must be a current official SMG "MEMBER" to attend. Prospective members will still need to sign the SMG Waiver / Assumption of Risk and provide emergency contact information to attend. Please provide the required information when you RSVP. Because this event occurs on public lands it is open to the public.
Not an official SMG member yet? Join the club here.
Dates: July 20-21, 2013
Location: Red Slate Mountain
Route: North Couloir
Appropriate For: Intermediate/Advanced Climbers w/good fitness
SMG MEMBERS ONLY Resources:
Fitness and Difficulty Level: Difficult
Max Elevation: 13,100 ft
Starting Elevation: 7,600 ft
Weather: NOAA Forecast
Pre-Requisites: Participants must meet all the following:
- Organizer approval
- Fitness to handle a long strenuous approach (7 mi. @ +3400 ft)
- Ability to negotiate river crossings with a full pack and handle exposed sections of trail.
- Ability to confidently climb 40 degree snow/ice independently or on running belay.
- Ability to self arrest/belay with an ice axe
- Show up with the appropriate clothing, gear, and equipment (or if you are an official member, reserve loaner gear from the club).
- Attend as a prospective member or begin SMG membership, see links above.
Saturday, Day 1:
Meet in Folsom and arrange carpooling. Begin our drive to Convict Lake. The hike to base camp will be up Convict Canyon where we will tackle at least one river crossing and negotiate a few sections of washed out (exposed) trail. We'll setup base camp at Lake Wit-So-Nah-Pah and rest up for tomorrow's climb.
Sunday, Day 2:
Climb early, descent the north slope, break camp, and head back to the cars for a well deserved victory meal.
REQUIRED CLOTHING, EQUIPMENT AND GEAR
- Wicking, breathable baselayer, top and bottom
- Wind and waterproof shell layer, top and bottom
- Insulating fill jacket
- 2 pair socks, liners
- Mountaineering boots, or approved sturdy backpacking boots
- Lightweight liner gloves
- Waterproof gloves
- Glacier sunglasses
- Warm hat - the touque!
- Sun hat
- 40 - 50 liter pack. Leave some room for carrying group gear.
- Trekking poles
- Shelter, or share group shelter
- Minimum 15-degree sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad
- Mug / bowl and spoon
- Water bottles or containers.
- Headlamp w/extra batteries
- Compass, GPS also recommended if available
- Camera, extra batteries
- Small knife
- Personal items, medications
- Emergency items - keep it small.
- Lightweight mountaineering harness
- Hard shell mountaineering helmet
- Sharp mountain axe
- Sharp ice tool
- Sharp steel crampons, fit to your boots
- 2 large locking and 2 non-locking carabiners
- 2 single length slings
- 2 double length slings
Group items provided by SMG
- Technical climbing gear: ropes, protection for rock, ice and snow, assorted slings and cordage, locking carabiners
- First Aid kit
- Some tents
- Some stoves, pots
For questions or more information, please contact: Wayne Fry, SMG Event Organizer, by clicking the "Send Email" link from his profile.