This Meetup site is for Sierra Mountaineering Club (SMC) to post announcements about official club events
ALL SMC OUTINGS, EVENTS, SEMINARS AND MEMBER RESOURCES ARE LOCATED AT THE OFFICIAL SMC WEBSITE AT: www.sierramountaineeringgroup.org
THE SIERRA MOUNTAINEERING CLUB is a modern, active mountaineering club. We are a community where people connect, learn and climb together. We think we have something special happening and would love for you to join us.
You're at the first step, which is to follow us here on Meetup. When you do that you'll have access to view our complete calendar, event photos, and be involved. But we can offer you much more than that...
Become an official SMC member. When you join SMC you will be able to be a part of all our official club climbing outings and expeditions. This membership is FREE. If you would like to also have access to our training courses, loaner gear, skills advancement system, and other member benefits, you can join SMC on a paid membership. Either way, you'll be joining hundreds of other mountain enthusiasts to get out climbing right away and sharpen your skills. When you join SMC officially on a paid membership you'll have the ability to find climbing partners, have access to all our training videos, documents and info, custom built topographic maps, our safety gear and much more.
WHAT YOU GET WITH OFFICIAL PAID SMC MEMBERSHIP:
- CONNECTIONS: Join the action with other enthusiasts and actually get out climbing with others regular folks just like you, immediately. Many of us have found some of our best friends and climbing partners through SMC. Come join us and be a part of modern mountaineering. See what our members say about SMC!
- OFFICIAL CLUB CLIMBS AND EXPEDITIONS: Members get out in the mountains with us year round, and we do it all from single-day scrambles to week-long, challenging technical expeditions. Check out some videos of SMC members in action!
- TRAINING AND QUALIFICATION: Nine levels of technical skills training and SMC qualification in rock, ice, snow and glacier climbing and comprehensive mountaineering skills and knowledge. In addition, you'll enjoy a long-term relationship with your fellow club members and leaders who will help you perpetually advance your skills to become a more effective, safe and confident climber. Overview of our training courses.
- MEMBERSHIP MATERIALS: When you join, you get stuff. You'll receive a welcome packet with your SMC member handbook, important club info and the coveted SMC stickers.
- SAFETY GEAR: Membership gives you access to fundamental safety gear for climbing, first-come, first-serve.
- ONLINE RESOURCES: Gain access to hours of SMC on-site training videos, custom built topo maps, and other information providing important technical information..
WANNA SEE VIDEO OF SMC MEMBERS IN ACTION?
Annual membership is $80. Or you can register for a free membership which will grant you access to club outings and expeditions only. Either way, this is a unique opportunity and you can get started immediately.
----> Join SMC today! <----
HOW TO OFFICIALLY JOIN SMC - PLEASE COMPLETE THESE STEPS
- Click to join "SMC on Meetup" (We use the Meetup infrastructure to power our site, so this is a necessary step) then,
- Go to SMC's website at www.sierramountaineeringgroup.org/join to join the club and complete your member profile.
- Select membership. We suggest $80 annually, or you can get a free membership if you only want to attend free club outings and expeditions. Once you've completed the process you’ll be notified via email and your account will be activated immediately. If you paid for membership you'll receive a welcome packet in the mail.
- Go to www.sierramountaineeringgroup.org/events to RSVP for official SMC club outings, training courses and expeditions.
With year round outings and training courses, hundreds of active members, and an array of resources and opportunities, now is the time to become a part of our community.
Join us today!
SMC IS A 501(c)7 NOT-FOR-PROFIT ORGANIZATION. IF YOU'D LIKE TO SUPPORT OUR MISSION PLEASE DONATE SECURELY ONLINE TO SMC
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER ABOUT THE SIERRA MOUNTAINEERING CLUB
SMC is a modern mountaineering club - not a guide service. Our outing leaders are unpaid volunteers. We cannot and do not endorse mountaineering or any other related activities we undertake as safe, since it cannot be guaranteed as safe and may result in injury, disability, and death at any time. Mountaineering alone or in a group is inherently risky.
Your safety is your responsibility. It is up you to decide if an outing is within your skill level. If you decide to attend, you do so at your own risk. Each participant is solely responsible for their own personal safety during the entire trip, regardless of the expertise / decisions of the organizer, including the transportation from and back to the meetup location.
Each participant must be adequately experienced and self-sufficient in order to match the rigors present at the event. Physical and mental effort to some level of challenge is always present at all events. Many events require specialized skills such as fall protection, self rescue, survival and crevasse rescue. Events always involve some level of technical mountaineering, and will include some or all of the following: snow and ice climbing, rock climbing, glacier climbing, steep terrain, harsh conditions, off trail navigation, altitude, hunger, thirst, fatigue and general deprivation.