Silicon Valley Python Meetup Message Board › Special Thank You to our space organizers

Special Thank You to our space organizers

Glen J.
user 8312881
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Finding a free venue is very difficult. Most venues that we need for events like we recently had require payment. And, to offset that payment, we would have to charge for the event. I've been hesitant to do this unless absolutely necessary. And, luckily, we found free space this year.

I originally met Matt Walker when he tried to recruit me for a position in a company. But, unlike some other recruiters, Matt genuinely wanted to also help the community. He offered to give us space in his office for our event.

I was distrustful at first. "What do you want in return?" I kept asking. Maybe it's unusual, but I often have bad experiences with recruiters.

But, Matt was sincere. He genuinely wanted to help and he volunteered his office. It wasn't the Santa Clara Convention Center, but it worked. And, I couldn't argue with the price :)

When we did the "Beginner's only" track, Matt said he arranged for his company to spring for the lunch and he brought us all pizza. I find this remarkable since this was a beginner's track (not an senior engineer track), so he clearly wasn't going to fill any of his open positions for senior engineers. But, he still volunteered the space and the food.

This weekend, he and his company also donated space and sprang for a spread of indian food.

So, although I don't generally endorse recruiters (especially publicly like this), I found Matt and his company to have genuine motives in really helping the open source community.

I'd like to send out the good will. If you know someone (especially senior engineers) who are considering moving jobs, why not give them Matt's details:
Matt Walker
matt@rockitrecruiting.com

Sending this is the least that I can do for all the help that he and his company, RockIT Recruiting (http://rockitrecruiti...­, have given for the PostPyCon video events that we did this year.

Cheers,

Glen