addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Singapore Vegetarian Meetup Group Message Board › Apr 20: Recap of breakfast @ Chinatown / blood donation at HSA

Apr 20: Recap of breakfast @ Chinatown / blood donation at HSA

Joe G.
JoeGoh
Singapore, SG
Post #: 21
Hi everyone!

Plenty of new faces at today's meetup! Like the previous foodie meetup at Indinine, the majority of the people that turned up today during the pre-donation breakfast (4 out of 7, Ashok, Dino, Carolyn and Kim Lan) joined us for their first-time. Thanks for joining us today, and we all definitely hope to see you again during subsequent meetups. :-)

The breakfast at Chinatown was filling, but I have to admit, it wasn't that tasty or perhaps even healthy. The only reason why it was even chosen at all was because its the only vegetarian place that's open for breakfast at 9am *and* is within walking distance to the blood bank at the HSA. We had to get to the HSA early too (and as George can probably attest), the crowds are huge later in the day at the blood bank. As the 7 of us got to the HSA at around 10am, we had a pretty short wait before it was our turn. George who came in at around 12pm had to wait over an *hour* just for his blood test...

All that aside, we did have a good chat over the pre-donation breakfast with the usual *wide* range of topics. From the usual ones (reasons for switching to vegetarianism, places to eat in Singapore, etc) to the obscure (whether humans should drink cow's milk, etc). I also mentioned a few healthier vegetarian eating places in the city:

Genesis Vegetarian (their brown rice set meals are healthy and tasty)
- http://genesishealthf...­
Juiced RawBar (Fresh salads are their forte, and their portions are
big enough to be a meal in itself) - http://www.hungrygowh...­

I also mentioned there's this great website called HappyCow, listing
lots of vegetarian eating places in Singapore - http://www.happycow.n...­

After breakfast, all of us walked to the HSA, where Ashley, Rudy, Kim Lan and myself signed up for donating our blood, with Dino, Ashok and Carolyn giving us their wonderful support. With the exception of Kim Lan, all of us were first-time donors. :-) After the blood donation, Dino, Rudy and myself visited Tea Chapter at Neil Road for tea, as none of us were feeling hungry.

Dino, Rudy and I (with Jeffrey showing up later) stayed at Tea Chapter for a loooooooooooooong tea break (perhaps over 5 hours?), discussing loads of different topics while sipping tea and eating vegetarian noodles.

A very enjoyable and meaningful morning and afternoon - thanks everyone! (and you've read this far, thanks for reading too! :-))

Cheers,
Joe
Joe G.
JoeGoh
Singapore, SG
Post #: 22
Reply from co-organiser: George Jacobs

Thanks for the recap, Joe.

One point to clarify - usually, the wait to donate blood is quite short. I've donated 10+ times, and I usually wait about 10 minutes. One of the nurses told me that the wait was so long yesterday because some company had sent lots of its staff down to donate.

After you donate, you receive a colourful bandage. It was nice seeing everyone with different colours: a vegetarian rainbow.

Here are some iron-rich veg recipes, courtesy of Goh Joo Heng (the veg blood donation champ) and Paul Yeoh (a raw food chef). --george

Juices (from Joo Heng)

1. carrot 10oz, spinach 6oz

2. carrot 9oz, fennel 7oz

3. carrot 7oz, celery 4oz, parsley 2oz, spinach 3oz

4. carrot 8oz, beet 3 oz, celery 5oz

5. carrot 10oz, beet 3oz, cucumber 3 oz

6. carrot 8oz, radish 4 oz, lettuce 4oz

Smoothie (from Paul)

1 red dragon fruit, peeled and chopped

1 ½ water

1 lime (large), green peel removed, white pith remaining

½ cup spearmint leaves, lightly packed

1 1/3 tbs honey (optional)

2/3 tsp ginger juice

Date-Almond Candy Balls (from Paul)

¾ cup dates, pitted and packed

3/8 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid

1 ½ cup almonds ground into a flour

½ cup almonds, chopped into rocky pieces in a dinner plate

Loosely separate the dates and place them and the coconut oil in a food processor fitted with “S” blade. Puree until smooth. In a large bowl, knead the almond flour into the date mixture until well combined. Wrap the batter up in a piece of parchment paper and freeze for 10mins to firm.

Using about ½ tablespoon per ball, roll small balls of batter – you should be able to get about 48 balls. Roll each ball in the rough chopped almonds to create a rocky texture.

Refrigerate and store in an airtight container for up to one month.