The Singapore Vegetarian Meetup Group Message Board › Vegetarian Meetup Fees

Vegetarian Meetup Fees

Joe G.
JoeGoh
Singapore, SG
Post #: 26
UPDATE: I've received a few emails regarding whether you can donate using other means other than PayPal. You can either hand me the donation in cash during the meetup (i'll bring along an envelope just for this every meetup from now on) or just do a direct deposit to my POSB account. Please email me directly for account details and instructions.

--------------------------------------­--------------------------------

Hi everyone!

The meetup group needs your help. This email is a little long as I want to make things as clear and open as possible, but you may skip the background if you wish. Grab a comfy seat and a nice cold drink! And if you've just joined the group not too long ago, welcome!

--------------------------
Some background
--------------------------
As those of you who have attended the Annalakshmi meetup on March 1 may know, Meetup.com charges every group a fee for the use of the site. You can find more details regarding this here: http://www.meetup.com...­

During the Annalakshmi meetup, i've also mentioned that one of our co-organisers at the time (Tulip) chose to foot the bill for this fee so nobody else needs to pay anything.

Turns out that previous payment only covered the backpayment of the formation of the group (in August '07) till the date I took over as the organiser from George (the former organiser) around Jan-Feb '08.

Here's what I saw in my account page recently: http://skitch.com/fun...­
---------------------------
End of background
---------------------------

You'll see that Meetup.com charges the organiser (me) US$72.00 every 6 months (If you have clicked any of the two links above). That comes up to about S$200 a year with the current US$ -> S$ exchange rate.

The wonderful news is though, the group has grown a lot, with 85 members as of writing. I've set up the group front page to have a suggested minimum donation of US$2 a year, and if everyone throws in their share into the bucket, we'll have enough to cover the Meetup.com fees. US$2 is just S$2.74 at the moment, which makes it *less* than 1 cent a day. I'm sure everyone here can afford that (can't even get a decent meal at the foodcourt for that money these days!).

US$2 is only a suggested minimum, donations above US$2 are very welcome (for reasons i'll explain below).

For those that have attended the post-dinner chat during the Indinine meetup, you may have heard that we're organising a vegetarian BBQ (or even a chalet) sometime this year (when the weather gets a little better).

What i'm thinking of, is to have any excess money collected be used to fund this BBQ. Things like fees for booking of the BBQ pit at the park, charcoal, etc etc. In fact, if we can colllect enough money, we can even make the entire event (including food and drinks) FREE for all attendees! How cool would that be?!

Please contribute! You can use this link: http://vegetarian.mee...­

Just to be very clear - i'm not making any money off any of this meetup group or its activities. I'll be extremely open about where the money is being spent and send updates to this mailing list whenever money is being spent with the account balance. If you have any further queries, you can also always send me an email directly.

So please contribute generously and thanks in advance for helping the group out!

Cheers,
Joe