add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Singapore Vegetarian Meetup Group Message Board › Where to buy vegan food products in Singapore?

Where to buy vegan food products in Singapore?

Amanda T.
user 8809729
Irvine, CA
Post #: 4
Hi guys,
i'm new to this group and new to the whole veganism as well. i've no problems with motivation and know of several places to eat vegan food but i'm having a big problem finding food that doesn't contain animal products in supermarkets for home cooking.
i know some cold storages sell vegan cheese, but can anyone let me know of any places where i can find vegan foodstuffs such as pasta, noodles, cakes etc..i'm hoping that if i can find a convenient place for my mum to buy such things for cooking then my family can slowly adopt veganism as well.

Hope someone can help!

p.s. if anyone needs any resource when friends or others question your "weird" decision to go vegan, this is a good video you can suggest they watch­
it's a movie called Peaceable Kingdom - The Journey Home, about farmers who are in the dilemma of compassion and making a living. Watch it if you have an hour.
user 10350124
Singapore, SG
Post #: 1

No worries.
For vegetarian ranging from groceries to frozen foods.

So far, i know the price are quite reasonable..

Friendly Vegetarian Food Supplier
Blk 421
Ang Mo Kio Ave 10
Singapore 560421
Tel: 64566607
user 8912733
Singapore, SG
Generally, since i turned vegan 1 year ago (from vegetarian), i go for more 'direct' food, means less/no mock. I either cook or go for direct food found in many places. Genesis, Taste of Natural, Loving Hut are vegan restaurant you may visit. I baked my own bread and cakes.

There is really no one stop shop. I goes to organic shop or organic section in NTUC or Cold Storage to find stuff. Have to read ingredients for things we buy, even if they are labeled Vegetarian. Even for items labeled vegan, depending on how strict you are, there may be some that says they contain "traces of milk and egg" etc. So, better to check all ingredients.

Most mock stuff sold by vegetarian supplier contains egg or milk. And if not careful, some brands are found to contain animal ingredients (some are exposed by Taiwan Government). So for me, i stop going for Mock stuff. You can trust "Supreme" brand from JB. Owner is a vegan and ensure his products are 100% vegan. Anyway lesser processed food is good for body.

Bread contains Dough conditioner which has a high chance of contain milk derivatives. That means most bread are not vegan. Some Five Loaves bread (sold in Cold Storage) are vegan if there is no honey. Unless you can confirm that dough conditioner use is S500, this is a vegan dough conditioner for bread baking. Earth Balance and Nuttelex sold in Cold Storage are vegan margarine. Tofutti ice cream can also be found at bigger cold storage. Soygurt are soy yogurt found in cold storage. It is vegan, however processed in milk factory, hence contains traces of milk. And forget about non-dairy ceamer, it is not vegan, it contains milk derivatives. Go for soymilk, rice milk etc. Watch out for vitamin D3 in soymilk though, it is from animal source mainly (either wools from sheep or pig's brain). Vitamin D2 is fine.

Hope the above helps a bit... enjoy veganism.. it saves the earth by reducing 80% of greenhouse gases, if you are organic vegan, it helps save 94% of greenhouse gases. Your body will feel even better compare to a vegetarian :)
user 10350124
Singapore, SG
Post #: 2

Yah, usually i only go for foods from "original source".

General guide for balance diet for vegetarian is, Eat as much colours as possible.

Examples like, black colour from mushroom, orange colour from carrot, light & dark green colour from leafy vegetables and etc.

All the way!!!
Lai C.
Singapore, SG
I agree. Checking the ingredient list is very important. I find myself taking a long time to shop in supermarkets for this reason. It's amazing just how food manufacturers manage to add animal products to almost anything. Imagine my shock when I casually glanced at the ingredients for orange juice and saw that it contained milk! (True story: watch out for Peel Fresh)

Do skim through this resource list. It's /very/ useful even if you end up just recalling some of the vast amount of information here!

Some brands can label their products in a misleading manner. I was just about to buy this chocolate which had the huge words "DAIRY FREE" on its packaging the other day, when I took a glance at the fine print at the back of the wrap. It read, "May contain milk proteins."
Singapore, SG
When I read Gina's post, I smiled. She said the things from my heart! And on top of that - I didn't knew about dough conditioners, or that most of the mock meats contain milk since it wasn't stated in the ingredient list.

If you want to be a vegan, you have to give some leeway when eating out, otherwise it can turn you neurotic. In Singapore, (or probably everywhere else in the world), vegans eat out base on trust - even at vegetarian establishments. And to tell you the truth, most of the stuff you are eating from the vegetarian establishments may not be 100% vegan. Why?

1) refine sugar. Unless establishments use SIS sugar - which comes from australia and is refined without bone charcoal, then it is vegan. The rest of the sugar on the market (except unrefined, raw sugar, or refined beet sugar) could be non-vegan. We can't avoid this at all. If you ask the people at the food establishment, they wil lgive likely u a blank stare.

2) Planta margarine - vegetarian establishments doing cakes and pastries are a big fan of planta margarine. And planta margarine or most margarines aren't vegan. Even if they say "dairy-free" watch out - they will have this thing call natural flavour or flavour at the end of the list - and they can hide milk ingredients in there. Just read the planta margarine ingredients - you thought it's animal product free. Then at the end you see this statement "contains vegetable, synthetic and animal derived ingredients".

3) Poor knowledge - many proprietors of veg establishmnts don't understand the "vegan" term well. They don't understand what it means by "without dairy" or "animal-product free". Milk-free yes. But then you can ask them does it has mayonnaise / butter etc. - they will say "yes" without realizing that vegetarian mayonnaise contains dairy or that butter is the fat from dairy.

Well many more reasons. But whatever you do, just give in your best as a vegan :)
A former member
Hello, I am new to this group.

I have to adopt a dairy, yeast and eggs free diet because of severe allergy. Many a time when I accidentally eat anything milky...I am in for trouble.

Been reading thru the posts, found that cold storage probably have much vegan stuff. ANybody heard of teh brand Daiya?
Its numerous in the states, just wonder does singapore import it?
user 8912733
Singapore, SG
Post #: 2
Hi! Welcome on board.

At the moment, i suppose only Four Seasons Organic Market (City Square Mall 3rd Floor / Great World City B2 / Parkway Parade B1) imports Daiya Cheese directly. Not sure if there is yeast in Daiya or not, but I do know vegan cheese are mostly made with yeast for the taste.

You may also like to look out for Tofutti cheese slices from Cold Storage, or Follow Your Heart cheeses from Four Seasons Organic Market too.

Just to give you more info on some vegan products :

Nuttelex magarine is vegan available at NTUC/Cold Storage (NTUC is cheaper at S$8 per tub). Four Seasons Organic Market carries Earth Balance magarine which is also vegan. However I am not sure if there is yeast in the ingredient list or not. Please read before you buy.

For all the mock ingredients, do look out for ingredients "Yeast" which a lot of vegan products do contain them to give better taste. The brand Fry's (available in Cold storage), Supreme ( and Loving Hut are safe without dairy/egg. The rest of brands are not safe though not stated that they contain dairy / egg. Best to avoid mock stuff as it is generally not healthy stuff. Of course, if you like, is still good to enjoy :)

Borg's puff pasty vegan series are good for making pastry.

Hope the above is helpful. Let me know if you like to know more about vegan products/food.

A former member
Hey I've compiled a few lists on my blog organized by region and with the addresses:

Vegan Cafes

Vegan/Organic food stores

Plain Organic Foods (may have meat on the menu)

And of course there are overlaps between organic and vegan outlets.

One great outlet I recently went to was Super Nature in Orchard Boulevard. They have a great variety of alternative Vegan substitutes like sweeteners, baking goods, toiletries and all under one roof. My fav product so far from there was a baby lotion - my skin is really feeling soft like a baby's!

Also if I'm not wrong Nature Valley has many Vegan products although they don't brand themselves as such so just read the ingredients.
Bunny L.
Bangkok, TH
Post #: 9
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted everyone to know that ... we carry quite a few popular vegan & organic food products that we will be bringing into Singapore! Organic Raw cacao, Organic Goji berries, Maca Powder