addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › Simple Truths of Parenthood

Simple Truths of Parenthood

Laura
user 6540411
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 88
Came across this on the internet and thought it was so good I wanted to share it:

Things I have learned in my 18 years as a mother:

Children are a delight and a blessing. Much more so when they are sleeping.

The love a parent has for a child is overpowering, overwhelming, and will cause your heart to break a thousand times before the child turns 18. Once he does, it will break hourly.

The laundry is never really "done."

"Clean" becomes a very subjective and relative concept when you have children.

Parenthood is not for the faint of heart....one must be prepared to be "mean," "hated," lied to, mislead, used, taken for granted, and disposable all before noon.

Children learn what we teach them, whether we intend it or not.

Sitting in the passenger's seat with your 15.5 year old while she practices driving on her driver's permit is, in fact, cruel and unusual punishment.

Babies are like puppies....they are cute, and sweet, and smell really great. Then suddenly they are teenagers and they are not so cute, hardly ever sweet, and at times, smell really awful.

Kids can watch a movie, have 3 texting conversations, and chat on Facebook simultaneously, yet are unable to hear a parent's request until made at least 3 times at high volume.

Teen boys will want facial hair. Deal with it.

Being a mom is the most rewarding, gut wrenching, impossible, wonderful job I have ever had. It doesn't pay well, though, and there is no retirement.

Whoever said "kids don't want 'stuff', they want love" obviously never had kids. They want stuff, and lots of it. (of course they want love, too, they just don't see that advertised on television so they don't know they want it.)

If you want your kids to say, "please" and "thank you," to hold doors for people, and to have good table manners then be someone who says, "please" and "thank you," holds doors for people, and has good table manners. Kids learn what we teach them whether we intend it or not.

That whole, "do as I say, not as I do" thing will never work.

Winston Churchill once was quoted as saying, "Your actions scream so loudly I can't hear a word you're saying." These are words to live by.