Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › The Man Thread

The Man Thread

A former member
Post #: 2
your guy posts are GREAT....pretty funny actually! @ scot, start gathering girls and we'll march on over to the mall and be your "eyes" for new outfits! i'm so game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A former member
Post #: 31
Wow Brad.. what a great idea!!!!!! here's my question for MEN out there. I have a daughter... how do I keep things "girly' for her sake, and not go crazy?. I also have a son and I find it easy to do guy things with him. And I try really hard with my daughter. We have tea parties, I've been known to wear a princess dress, and we love to snuggle. But I just wonder about things around the house. as I look around there are footballs, basketballs, baseballs, boy things EVERYWHERE. What can I do special for my daughter??? For those of you who don't know.. My daughter will be 5 in August and my son is 2.

Pay attention to what makes her eyes brighten and darken.
If you don't know, ask.
If you forget to ask, hug her.
Brad
user 9893415
Middleton, WI
Post #: 13
...on an old ancient, electric drill. dinosaurs like Brad still use them today. Young hipsters like me...

Well played Sir.
Brad
user 9893415
Middleton, WI
Post #: 14

But I'm on to you all! You're just trying to use these poor innocent men for their bodies!

I feel so...Used :(
A former member
Post #: 5
You guys are making it really hard for me to feel nervous about going to my first meetup thing. Reading these threads makes me sort of feel like I know you a bit already.

Shopping... especially for girls... find a woman who only has sons, or one who has older girls who won't allow her to shop for them any more... and "drag" them with you. I am not a shopper for myself... but get me around little girl clothes... and I can't help but enjoy it. Seriously, employ the buddy system when shopping. Or hit the resale shops. Kids grow so quick, it doesn't pay to spend too much. Oh, and as for kids looking like "who the hell dressed you?"... I buy my kids cute stuff, but then they dress themselves, have opinions of their own, and they still look like that. As long as the clothes are clean and not torn up... it's just clothes.

Guy clothes... this is just my two cents... what is most attractive is a guy who looks comfortable and confident. If you think you need to dress a certain way for a date, but don't wear that kind of stuff normally, it shows. Just be clean (no clothes you worked on the car in) and whatever you do... no black knee socks with shorts!

"Girl" toys and "girl stuff"... don't worry about making stuff girly for your girl. Follow her lead. If she is into that, go for it. But I know plenty of girls who are not "girly" at all.

A former member
Post #: 74
You guys are making it really hard for me to feel nervous about going to my first meetup thing. Reading these threads makes me sort of feel like I know you a bit already.

Shopping... especially for girls... find a woman who only has sons, or one who has older girls who won't allow her to shop for them any more... and "drag" them with you. I am not a shopper for myself... but get me around little girl clothes... and I can't help but enjoy it. Seriously, employ the buddy system when shopping. Or hit the resale shops. Kids grow so quick, it doesn't pay to spend too much. Oh, and as for kids looking like "who the hell dressed you?"... I buy my kids cute stuff, but then they dress themselves, have opinions of their own, and they still look like that. As long as the clothes are clean and not torn up... it's just clothes.

Guy clothes... this is just my two cents... what is most attractive is a guy who looks comfortable and confident. If you think you need to dress a certain way for a date, but don't wear that kind of stuff normally, it shows. Just be clean (no clothes you worked on the car in) and whatever you do... no black knee socks with shorts!

"Girl" toys and "girl stuff"... don't worry about making stuff girly for your girl. Follow her lead. If she is into that, go for it. But I know plenty of girls who are not "girly" at all.

To be honest, I've been in this group for quite a while, but I don't know a lot of these people. This is an ever growing group. But I'd be nervous if I were you... some of these guys seem kind of creepy to me. Especially that one guy... yeah, watch out for him. He's a bit out there...
Brad
user 9893415
Middleton, WI
Post #: 15
<<Crickets>>

OK, changing things up a bit…I have a ’97 Rodeo, it may be a stone-age’r, but since Jeep, along with everyone else sold out to the grocery getter style and priced out us adventurers, I must say, they truly don’t make ‘em like this anymore.

I’m putting old faithful on blocks soon, I’ve been saying this for a while now, she needs a little work, but it’s hard giving up something I love and feel so connected to :) We had many memorable days, some good, some bad. Going places together or just chilling out in the garage. In the time we spent, she never complained about being over loaded with all the stress I put on her, or the long trips we would take. There was the occasional need for attention, and I would give her that. In return she treated me well, never leaving me stranded, standing alone somewhere. Though this may be hard, I know deep down inside its time to move on…

My question is this: Want to convert it to a toy, geared mainly for winter fun, so I’m keeping the standard tread width tires for more digging power. But the shock system is where I’m undecided, should I go with a stiff shock for less sway, more control on icy conditions, or a softer shock for handling the rougher road conditions, keeping the tread connected and eating, which also provides more control. Or, do I go with the self-adjusting shock that they claim adjusts to the conditions? Don’t know how that would work, but then again, I don’t know how anything modern works.

Any knowledge or experience on this?

Side note: I’m not talking about racing around during bad conditions, I’m talking about getting places during the snow lover days :)

On another side note: If you ever help your Daughter dye her hair, buy a bigger pair of gloves, I think they think everyone is a size 14-year-old :)
A former member
Post #: 1
Here are two good books, both probably available at the library:

Father to Daughter - Life Lessons on Raising a Girl by Harry H. Harrison Jr. and 101 Things You Should Do Before Your Kids Leave Home by David Bordon and Tom Winters.
A former member
Post #: 34
Brad! I don't know crap about all that tire stuff, but I definitely want a joyride in that beast-in-the-making! I need some encouragement to like the winters here since I won't be moving anytime in the near future.
Also, if you help your daughter dye her hair again in the future, I just want to come watch because i think that would be hilarious!
A former member
Post #: 42
@Brad.. clearly the way you talk about her, she likes it hard, so go with hard. if it's for winter can I suggest maybe some front ski's and treads in the back?