Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › SPDA Book Club Ideas

SPDA Book Club Ideas

Laura
user 6540411
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 159
Although selections have already been made for January and February, I'd like to solicit ideas for upcoming meetings of the SPDA book club.

"Sybil" followed by "Sybil Exposed" by Debbie Nathan, in which the author claims to have evidence the original case study of a woman with multiple personalities was a wild fabrication.

"Sarah's Key" by Tatiana de Rosnay

"An Invisible Thread" by Laura Schroff and Alex Tresniowski

"A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey

"The Last Train from Hiroshima: The Survivors Look Back" by Charles Pellegrino

Thoughts? Other ideas?
Amy
AmyRenewed
Madison, WI
Post #: 4
This may be ruled out because of the recent publicity, but "The Descendant's" by Kaui Hart Hemmings makes for an interesting read. I read it years ago (full disclosure: Kaui is my brother's wife). It may hit on sensitive areas, just an idea. I didn't have anyone to discuss it with the first time I read it, and wished I did.
Cathy P.
Mom2Nadia
Madison, WI
Post #: 3
I'd love Sarah's Key, Laura! I read the back of the book at my 3rd home (Barnes & Noble), and I was THIS close to getting it for myself anyway.

The one I did end up getting was The Help. I know it's a movie now, but IMHO, the book is always better than the movie! I just got it and I can't put the da%$ thing down. Just a thought...smile
A former member
Post #: 42
Hey, how about something from this list?

10 Great Books for Men and Guys

http://www.squidoo.co...­

:)
Laura
user 6540411
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 161
I'm certainly not opposed to a "great book for men and guys"! "The Kill Artist" by Daniel Silva might be good. Also "My Losing Season: A Memoir" by Pat Conroy.

Note: the article also mentions "Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy as "the ultimate chick book for guys". I read that book years ago and loved it. I wouldn't be opposed to that one, either. It was a great read and I'd definitely read it again.

I am also interested in "Sarah's Key", and definitely "The Descendants". I love the personal connection Amy has with the book, and we can see the movie after we read the book!

Kristine T
user 18088701
New Glarus, WI
Post #: 3
Are we still reading Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese? and Merry Christmas from Beanie:)
Laura
user 6540411
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 162
Beanie is adorable! Merry Christmas back at him (her?)!

I wasn't at the last book club meeting, but it was decided we would read "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" for January and "Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me" for February (although I might suggest we change this as I didn't see it in the library system at all and I don't really want to go out and buy it).

Not sure about "Cutting for Stone"...?
Cathy P.
Mom2Nadia
Madison, WI
Post #: 4
@ Dana I looked at the books, and since I'm a HUGE historical nonfiction fan, personally I was intrigued by Aztec. If we don't read it in a book club, I'm definitely getting it from Booksfree.com (that's the only way I get books to read right now-library + Nadia = ACKKKK!!!)

@ Laura You have a good point about Lies... I hadn't even gotten to that point of checking around for availability. I'm open for anything-I just love to read, and reading it in a book group makes it all the more enjoyable!smile
A former member
Post #: 43
Cathy,

I don't know if any of those books are good. I just wanted to throw the recommendations into the mix. We've talked about selecting books that might attract a wider audience.

I'm still trying to figure out why the list is for "Men AND Guys."
Laura
user 6540411
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 164
How about "Song of Solomon" by Toni Morrison?

Also, I would really like to read "The Descendants"....