Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › 1st Meetup Jitters

1st Meetup Jitters

Adam L.
user 13628645
Edgerton, WI
Post #: 5
Sara,
You are with a great group. My first meetup with them was for a New Years gathering at Daniella's house. I really didn't know what to expect. I honestly was concerned... but I had my kids with me for protection. But I found some great, warm, welcoming people and my kids had a blast. If you want to talk divorce shop there is a litany of information you can get from this group. But like OC was saying if you just want to get out, it is a great group to just hang out with too. These are tough times and the friends I have made through this group have made the journey much more palatable. In addition I had no idea about these "meetups" there are all kinds of groups to meet with. I found that some of my alone time was the worse time. I have found so many events to go to for myself and the kids. It has been great. So good luck to you. Just take that one step and jump in. The water is great!!! Hope to meet you sometime.
Adam L.
Sara W.
user 12452472
Baraboo, WI
Post #: 125
@ Carrie S. love struck. @ Sara, definitely come meet the peeps! One thing you will discover is that you didn't even know how badly you needed it! Come to an event with your kids first (might I suggest next Saturday Discover thingie???) that way you have your kids to focus on if you are uncomfortable! You won't be uncomfortable for long though, most people here make that impossible. . .
Sara M
user 33541822
Madison, WI
Post #: 7
Thanks Sarah......I am actually looking forward to next Saturday for the science thing...I almost came to Wett last night but just couldn't get myself to do it!! Hopefully will see you soon!!
Sara W.
user 12452472
Baraboo, WI
Post #: 127
you see, if you let me know, I send you my phone #. That way you are WITH us and not walking around by yourself feeling like the event sucks! Everyone actually met up at Sprecher's before hand and "pre-functioned". So, RSVP and you will get extra info at the end to ensure you are not going to feel stupid when you get there! Most events, Laura D makes sure there is a balloon of some sort so that there is no missing the group!
Jose
JoseNieves
Madison, WI
Post #: 33
Weirdly enough, I attended the first meetup I signed myself up for, Thanksgiving at OC's.

After that I've signed myself up for some meetups that I've missed because I just wasn't "all there" and some because of scheduling issues (I only get one night a week to myself). I do hope to be there with my eldest on Saturday and hopefully I'll be able to continue to meet people and expand my social circle.
Yasmine
user 36092052
Madison, WI
Post #: 1
I am new to this and I am a very shy individual :)

I signed up for the science thing, but then one of my daughters was sick,so we didn't attend. Alot of the meetups fill up very fast, and some of them are on weekends when I have my kids, and they are for adults only and vice versa, so I cant attend.

I have signed up for the pentathlon II, which sounds like a lot of fun, but that isnt till the end of March.

I do not have my kids this weekend coming up, 10th,11th and 12th and would love to do something if anyone has an interest. I am really looking forward to meeting others who are in the same boat as I am.
Optimistic C.
OptimisticChris
Madison, WI
Post #: 75
@ Yasmine... it is probably quite clear that I have numerous meetups under my belt, however, that only happens if you get to or make a meetup happen.

Last Saturday night... my kids both had arranged sleepovers at friends houses... so at about noon, I emailed ALL ON THE SP-DA email list... "looking for something to do"... within two hours we had over a dozen folks interested in at least looking at options. After several email exchanges, we settled on Pitchers Pub with the possibility of joining other folks at Badger Bowl for dancing.
Maybe 7 or 8 actually made it, but I gotta tell ya... it was a really fun night! Spontaneous, funny, lots of laughter and dancing.

Now I know you are shy.
I suspect that you don't know many in the group.
And I understand that having little ones can "hamper" the social life of an adult.

So come on SP-DA "village"... Yasmine want's to do something this weekend... Who's going to help a lady out?
OC
Optimistic C.
OptimisticChris
Madison, WI
Post #: 76
@ Yasmine... P.S. The Pentathlon is still a month or so away... but it will be worth the wait. I look forward to meeting you.
OC
Sara M
user 33541822
Madison, WI
Post #: 9
Yasmine-
Not sure what you like to do..but I am free most of the weekend too and looking for something to do.. Also, I am a newbie as well, and while my first meetup was the Science event...I didn't actually MEET anyone...so I am thinking it doesn't really count!
So...I am in...just send me an email or post a reply!
Sara
Amy
AmyRenewed
Madison, WI
Post #: 26
Yasmine and Sara M-
All I can say is, jump in with both feet. At noon on Saturday, I had met 1 person from SP-DA ever. I didn't have my son, so when OC emailed, I decided that the worst that would happen is that I would waste a night that I would have spent reading, so I took a chance. By midnight, OC, Laura, Dorothy, Sue, and the rest knew way too much about me, and I was having a ball!
I have my son this weekend, or I'd join you ladies. If you see a meetup or an email about a pickup group, even of you don't know anyone, I highly recommend making the leap of faith. In this group, someone WILL catch you!