addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › I'm looking for ideas

I'm looking for ideas

Ivan
user 64365542
Madison, WI
Post #: 2
I have never been organized but now that it is just my daughter and I at home I am extremely disorganized, I don't know where to start, I have much more to do and I wonder how people in similar situations have dealt with getting organized and doing all that needs to be done and the things that they want to do?

Thanks in advance for your time

Ivan
Cathy P.
Mom2Nadia
Madison, WI
Post #: 42
Hi Ivan! This is kind of a broad topic. Are you referring to financial matters? Housekeeping?

If it's about housekeeping, when I'm in the kitchen making a meal, while I'm waiting for the food to cook, I'll pick an area to scrub down with Fantastic, glass cleaner, etc. Or if there are piles on my counter, I'll just quickly sort them. Once I check one thing off it feels so good that I'll do another little one, and another, until the kitchen looks great! Then I'll do the same for the living room during commercials.

I don't know how old your daughter is, but if she's old enough to walk, she can help too! Get an attractive bin from Target or something. Have her sort her toys, games, etc., into bins. Let her help you too. Hope this helps, at least a little bit!
A former member
Post #: 174
the standard is set a 10-minute timer to clean daily. In my house, I try to spend at least 5 minutes in each room a day. Still never looks quite right, but we are getting better as kids get older. I also have adjusted to giving stuff I bought less than a year ago away - that was tough for me!
A former member
Post #: 176
You know Ivan, I think you need to have a party at your place. I will come and tell you if you have a problem or not with organization. Sometimes people tend to make a bigger deal out of things than they really are - particularly if you have an ex or soon-to-be-ex that has pointed certain things out about you! Of course there is always room for improvement, but sometimes you can just accept that you are "good enough" in one area so that you can move on to others.
Optimistic C.
OptimisticChris
Madison, WI
Post #: 139
My ex liked our house spotless... even with 2 kids. I always joked that we lived in a museum!
I don't mind a little bit of "disorganization"... not too much though.
I've been on my own for 18 months now and my home looks "lived in"... and I love it!
It would help us Ivan if we knew a little more about the specifics of your dilema. If you are willing to share, I am certain you would be happy with the responses. There is no better group in the area to help with divorce/separation and all the baggage that goes along with it.
OC
Cathy P.
Mom2Nadia
Madison, WI
Post #: 43
You know Ivan, I think you need to have a party at your place. I will come and tell you if you have a problem or not with organization. Sometimes people tend to make a bigger deal out of things than they really are - particularly if you have an ex or soon-to-be-ex that has pointed certain things out about you! Of course there is always room for improvement, but sometimes you can just accept that you are "good enough" in one area so that you can move on to others.

LOL, Sara, you are brilliant! OK, so maybe you might be a tad nervous about hosting a Meetup for that particular reason, Ivan, but Sara has a really good point-if you've been hearing for a long time that you are disorganized from someone who is super-critical, well, that may just be her opinion, and not necessarily the case at all. Let's see...a little impromptu checklist:
*Can you see the floor? Yes No
*Can you see the walls? Yes No
*Can you see the refrigerator, stove, etc.? Yes No
*Are there dust dinosaurs dancing around your house?
Yes No

OK, OK, I'll stop! wink Seriously, though-let us know more specifics, if you need them!
John C
JohnCurran
Dodgeville, WI
Post #: 23
I specialize in operations efficiency and companies I've run were always well organized (a requirement of the FDA and just good business practice). A home is similar but not as strict. There was a guy that said everything should be "where it's supposed to be, the way it's supposed to be, for all eternity" but that precludes living and having active projects. My standard for the past few years is simply, "Would I want a friend to stop by and see this?" I just think of that when I'm done in a room and the house is much cleaner. Another simple rule, if it takes less than 2 minutes to do something or put something away, do it now.