Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › How to cope w/ 2 kids

How to cope w/ 2 kids

A former member
Post #: 5
Friends,
Does anyone else have two kids in a small space? I have two beautiful daughters - five years apart - who fight like cats and dogs. Then they bounce back quickly but I'm left reeling. Our house is tiny and it's becoming stressful. Need to find ways to get them occupied or dad is going to have a very tough winter. Any thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks.
Robin
user 11766139
Madison, WI
Post #: 2
Hi Dan,
I have two girls as well. They are 6.5 years apart and they fight more than I would have ever imagined. My older one just turned twelve. How old are your girls?
Robin
A former member
Post #: 6
Thanks Robin.
My girls are 7 and 12 - both have birthdays soon. Odd as it sounds, they get along great in between battles. It really rattles me. The twelve year old is changing, as I've been warned about. She's gone from daddy's girl to rolling her eyes at me. Trying hard to find some game or activity - something non-tech - to get us all involved with.
Tiny house + long winter = crazy dad!

Thanks for responding!
Dan

Brad
user 9893415
Middleton, WI
Post #: 38
Dear Crazy Dad Dan,

I hate to break the news to you, but, it doesn't get any better. Least not for a while. Have 16 & 17yo girls, best friends..until! Grows from "stop touching your sister" to "stay out of your sisters closet". They know when the eyes ice over & no expression, that's when dad's ready to snap! Practice it, along with 'THE LOOK' ..You know, the one that your daughter doesn't pick up on, yet puts fear in boys. It's an art form.

Skiing, best winter family activity I think. Or any outside winter activity you do together.
Tiny house + long winter + crazy dad + hot chocolate = happiness & great memories

Oh, & my deepest sympathy to you [middle school drama]

Hang in there! & Best of luck!

Brad
Laura
user 6540411
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 193
Lol, Brad, you are too funny!!

Dan, perhaps you need to join us on an adults only outing soon! Perhaps letting your hair down a bit when you don't have your kids will help you cope better. ;) I know. I have a son 15 and a daughter who just turned 13, so I know about fighting kids AND the, ahem, change.
Laura
user 6540411
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 194
What is your placement schedule?
A former member
Post #: 7
Thanks Brad. That's funny - I have been warned. But you make good point - appreciated.
I have 50/50 placement. Crazy way to live, but kids are resilient, and we're doing OK really.
Cindy R
user 26664792
Oregon, WI
Post #: 8
I have a daughter who is 20 and an only child. Believe me I heard all about that when she grew up (no sibling, blah, blah, blah). My suggestions is that you could try craft things that involve glue guns and chalkboard paint. I am not crafty but these things I can even do. There are many things on Pinterest that can give you great ideas with items you might already have at home. Pinterest is the new craze and you need to be invited onto the boards. If you need an invite just let me know and I can invite you. I do have two sisters and we fought like crazy growing up...so I can tell you it's best if they each have their own project and not work as a team. Good luck and keep yourself sane...you have many crazy and fun years ahead of you. Cindy
A former member
Post #: 8
Thanks Cindy.
A former member
Post #: 177
Hahahahaha! You should just accept going crazy. I did it a long time ago and it seems to be getting me through it! I agree with Laura - join the adult outings on your weekends off and they will get you in a good place to handle the next stretch! I have 11 & 12 year old girls (birthdays this next sat and the one after), and 5 & 6 year old boys. I never thought you could think of so many things to fight about, but there they are! Here is how I spread them out over the weekend: #1, get them some friends and suggest one of them goes to stay the night at their friends house! If you are getting stuck that it is "your time" with them and YOU are supposed to spend it ALL entertaining them, I would rethink how it was when you were married. As a family, I never would have sat there and been manipulated by one of my kids telling me "isn't this our time?".

Anyway, being that it is school, I got all 4 in hockey this year. That takes up about any spare minute you might have thought about having. Additionally, the boys do bowling on Saturday mornings. Check with your parks & rec for cheap activities to sign them up for. Movies at Marcus Theaters are $5 if you see a show before 11. We went to Wreck it Ralph this weekend. I don't let them eat or drink at the movies (yes, I am stingy - and food is not a part of any activity I ever have to pay for to begin with). Had a hockey game today and took them over to McDs with a playplace after to let the little ones work some of the energy out (they got a McDouble, and we shared a pop ($4)). The girls dad offered to take them to open skate at the ice rink and I let him!

The next weekend I would have them has bowling on sat morning and then there is a kid-friendly party at Cathy Ps house. I highly recommend taking them to anything marked "kid friendly" that you can.