Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › Seeking info ASAP on contested divorce court hearing (trial)?

Seeking info ASAP on contested divorce court hearing (trial)?

Robin
user 11766139
Madison, WI
Post #: 4
Hello friends,

Looks like there is no reaching a settlement regarding assets and support so I will be in court at the end of the week. I am nervous and am reaching out to ask for support.

If you have information to share - I'd like to know about your experience in the courtroom:
What happened; specifically?
Did you speak? Were you allowed to?
What do you wish you knew going in?

I'd like to know what to expect so I can feel less intimidated, more at ease.
Let me know how I can best reach you; I don't expect detailed posts. We can use private emails or a phone call, whichever is easier.

Thanks so much!
Robin
Optimistic C.
OptimisticChris
Madison, WI
Post #: 156
You will be in my thoughts Robin. I have nothing to share that would help you. My divorce, while it had its ups & downs, was fairly cooperative.
I wish you luck!
I know the SP-DA community will be there for you. Be strong lady!
OC
allie a.
user 18521111
Madison, WI
Post #: 18
Heya Robin
I am very involved in my partner's court room hearings and have attended almost all of them. Here's what I know : Bring evidence of anything you think may be important, for example, emails, bills that are pertinent, etc. You'll also need copies of these. Do you have a lawyer? If you have a lawyer, then you may not have to speak at all!
Also : that a lot of what was decided was based on a formula. How much child support, divvying up things based on how much they were worth... Also maintenance.

Hey good luck!
Ken
user 10992199
Madison, WI
Post #: 50
"What do you wish you knew going in?"

That's a terrific open question. Hope you get some responses from people who have been through this.
Robin
user 11766139
Madison, WI
Post #: 5

Thanks! Can you say any more about emails?

Brad
user 9893415
Middleton, WI
Post #: 42
Bring everything. Everything to anything that could possibly be brought up. Having the documents holds more water than anything, & shows your credibility.

Keep calm, no matter what the other says don’t let emotions takeover and interrupt.

Refrain from side comments, negativity towards the other.

Dress professional, conservative side

Address the Judge or Court Commissioner as Your Honor

Yes you can talk, ask questions; they want you to in Divorce Court. You are not in Criminal Court.

Can’t really elaborate much more without more info.. Is this for Temp Orders? Is it a Statues Conference? Pretrial Hearing? Are there attorneys?

If lawyered-up it will be more formal & attorneys will try and settle the matters before you enter the courtroom, so arrive early. Also, they will do the talking unless court asks you questions directly.

If no lawyers yet and in front of the Commissioner it will be much more relaxed, he/she will explain things to you.

If the other has an attorney and you don’t, get one.

Other than that, it is less intimidating than most think. Preparation & conduct is the key.
A former member
Post #: 3
Robin,

Although I have only been to court once for my divorce, I have been in the courtroom many, many times for work and can provide tips and answer any questions you may have. If you would like to chat by phone, send me an email and I can give you my phone number.

Karen
Robin
user 11766139
Madison, WI
Post #: 6
Thank you so much! I'm not sure I have anything to ask right now....
Maybe tomorrow :)

Robin