addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › RSVP's-important as ever!

RSVP's-important as ever!

Cathy P.
Mom2Nadia
Madison, WI
Post #: 47
Hey all,

Anyone who knows me even a little bit KNOWS I do not like confrontation. Yet I feel strongly that there needs to be some clarification regarding RSVP's.

Particularly this time of year, when people (OC, Kathy K, Kat, and myself, as a few examples) are willing to open up their homes, RSVP's become critical. We have a finite amount of space in our homes, and when we post an event that has a waitlist, it is with the understanding that people will sign up, and then later plans change, and they quickly change their RSVP's so that people on the waitlist can go. This is fine when it's done even the day before. But the day of? 2-3 hours before? 1 minute before? In the case of my event, we had a waitlist of 12. Only 11 showed up, and 3 of those were kids. Thankfully, we had a fun crew that were willing to play Taboo (Tricia rocked at this game, just so you know!), and it was fun with a smaller group.

The point is this-we have a FUN holiday party coming up at Kathy K's. There are 70 people on the list, and the wait list WILL grow. Despite humor (OC's warning that he will sit on heads if RSVP's are not honored), strong requests (i.e. HM Laura), and everything in between, this continues to be a challenge. As I like to say to my students, "It's not rocket science!" If you have a strong inkling you are not going to be able to make it, change your RSVP BEFORE the day of the event. There are many upcoming events-if you miss one, it's not a big deal, and we will be happy to see you!

As I close this, I respectfully request that you take this message in the manner in which it was written-with love for this group that has given me so much. Thank you!

CPlove struck
Julie V
user 23239811
Madison, WI
Post #: 15
Thank you Cathy. As someone who has been on the waitlist a few times - I wholeheartedly agree.

Last year for one of my FAVORITE events (great memories because it was a distraction from divorce and helped me heal) I was 12th on a waitlist. There were only a dozen or so openings. The day BEFORE the event, after I had made other plans, I was moved onto the event list. That means MOST of the people that signed up (some of whom were bringing guests) backed out, a number of them at the last minute. I never imagined I'd be able to join the event being so far down the waitlist, and I was very upset knowing I could have. I RSVP'd immediately to let the next person take my spot.

Sometimes, in the midst of life issues, we get cold feet about being with people. Sometimes we have emergencies, yet most often we are forgetful. Aside from emergencies, none are good reasons to let others down.

If you aren't 100% sure, please don't sign up until you are, especially if you are bringing guests. Its disrespectful to hosts and waitlisters - aka selfish.

I love this group. Let's take good care of each other! wink
Laura
user 6540411
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 203
Well said, ladies! Thank you!