Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › Beware of scams on the web, I was nearly caught in one and am trying to warn

Beware of scams on the web, I was nearly caught in one and am trying to warn all of you to be careful

Emmanuel
UzoIsADoberman
Janesville, WI
Post #: 19
Hello All,
My name is Emmanuel Fontes and I am a member of this group. As some of you already know I have been looking for a roommate since my present roommate is moving out at the end of this week. I put an ad on Craigslist advertising my room for rent. I got a few regular emails asking if I could go lower etc. then I got an email from a woman by the name of Lucy Okuyade. She sounded genuine and I honestly felt sorry for her and almost considered renting her the room. But something in the back of my head kept telling me there was something wrong. How many of you would rent a room or rent a house or buy a house sight unseen and also send money to a total stranger? On a hunch I decided to Google her full name to see if it would give me any more info on her. I want you all to Google “Lucy Okuyade” and see what comes up. I was amazed and my jaw just about dropped to the floor. I did end up giving out my name email address and phone number to this person. Please read some of those stories and question yourself and hopefully we can all be smarter and not get scammed by these worthless jerks in Nigeria. I am a lot smarter now but I still have a room that I am trying to rent if anyone is interested.
Manny
A former member
Post #: 1
We should all listen to that little voice in the back of our heads. Thanks for sharing your situation Manny, you wouldn't believe how many people are hurt by these scams and others like them every year.
D.J.
user 3096944
Beaver Dam, WI
Post #: 163
This is similar to the common 4-1-9 scam. A lot of these 'worthless jerks in Nigeria' are able to conjure these attempts from right here in the U.S. Some of the more advanced scam artists will have family or friends who act as a contact and still live in a different country and may have their responded mailings forwarded to their P.O. boxes. They put a lot more time into creating the scam than it takes to do some background checking on their representation.
Kathryn
user 10588499
Madison, WI
Post #: 6
Similar things occur if you try to rent a room for vacation. Many of them are Nigerian scams....especially on Craigslist. They show beautiful rooms to rent that are actually nonexistent. You send money, then arrive and have no place to go. Luckily I didn't get caught in this (I googled also), but I read of a guy that showed up with his son in New York to find he didn't have a place to stay. I did report this to Craigslist scams. However, I guess these people just change their names and keep going, so it makes it hard to stay on top of it.
Kathryn
user 10588499
Madison, WI
Post #: 7
Two things that are key to identifying scams:

1) they want you to send them money by a nonguaranteed way (i.e., wire the money...a reputable place NEVER does this!)
2) they want to send you money that you are supposed to "cash" for them (which holds you liable for the quantity)