Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › Child Support Question

Child Support Question

Laura
user 6540411
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Here's a "hypothetical" situation for your consideration.

Let's say that two people are divorced and one party is receiving child support. The amount of the child support is based on the income of both parties (determined using the state child support calculator), and it was agreed that the amount of the child support would be adjusted whenever there is a change in the income of either party. The amount of the child support is calculated on a monthly basis but paid every two weeks (i.e. 26 payments per year).

Let's say that the person receiving the child support then loses their job so the child support payments increase for a while. That person then finds a job so the amounts have to be adjusted back down again based on the new income. However, it will be two weeks from when the person starts the job until that person sees their first paycheck. In the meantime, a child support payment is due.

The question is: Should the change in the payment be effective from the date that person started the new job or after the first paycheck is received.

Your thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Please post your replies to the message board.
Carolyn
user 8080883
Waunakee, WI
Post #: 16
That's a tough one, but if we keep in mind that the kids are the benefactors of the child support payment, then the parents should do everything possible to be sure they are provided for. Therefore, I think the higher payment should continue until the parent is getting their new wage.
A former member
Post #: 3
I agree, that the payment should be made as scheduled as to not interupt being able to provide for the child or children.

It is possible that when the adjustment is made that it is retroactive to a prior date, so that the next payment or next few payments are lower by the "over" payment so the adjustment to both parties is not subtantial enough to cause financial hardship.
A former member
Post #: 31
Assuming that when the custodial parent lost the original job, the payments didn't increase during the time between termination and the arrival of the final paycheck: I don't see why they should drop now, before the first paycheck arrives. (of course I haven't seen a dime in child support for over 3 years, so I may not be the best person to offer advise).