addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › what is your breakup song

what is your breakup song

A former member
Post #: 6
Right before the sTBX and I started dating, we went to see a movie Pretty Woman and the song by Roxette "must have been love but it's over now" became our song.

Now that we have split up, my song for our breakup is Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance"

what you think about your breakups, what song represents it?

A former member
Post #: 64
I don't have a specific song for any particular breakup -- but whenever I go through one, I have found listening to Lou Reed's "Berlin" while enjoying some Wild Turkey helps a great deal
A former member
Post #: 25
I like Cake's version of "I Will Survive". It's a little edgier than Gloria Gaynor's version. I have a whole breakup playlist though. I also have a playlist called "rebirth" which is kind of the next stage.
Laura
user 6540411
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 75
I like this question! The first song that popped into my mind when I read it was a song called "Home", by Chris Daughtry. It's not really about breaking up, but it has a line that goes, "Be careful what you wish for, 'cause you just might get it all". Another was "Keep Pushin'" by REO Speedwagon.

Agree with Todd that different songs applied to different points in the process. Those were from some of the earlier stages, but there were/are a lot of them. It's kind of like when someone asks you to name your favorite movie. Comedy, drama, action? It depends.
A former member
Post #: 8
I think of "Here comes Goodbye" by Rascal Flatts. I think it has great lyrics.
A former member
Post #: 6
How about Rick Springfield - this one made me laugh out loud after I was done singing.

"I've done everything for you... you've done nothing for me." Not sure of the name though.

Kathy
ErinSteph
user 10935938
Madison, WI
Post #: 4
Mine is suppose to make me smile when i hear it, I know break-up should be sad, but I want to remember that not every choice is wrong, for my case... "King of Anything." Sara Bareilles.
A former member
Post #: 1
Wow. I actually can relate my last relationship to three songs. After I found out I was pregnant and we were on again/off again, "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon was the perfect song to describe how I was feeling. After I gained enough strength to split, then Keri Hilson's "Knocks You Down" was my breakup song. Now looking back on the entire relationship and learning more about what was going on behind the scenes, as sad as it is to admit, Eminem & Rhianna's "Love The Way You Lie" seems more appropriate.
Paula G.
user 12097140
Madison, WI
Post #: 1
I have been following all of the awesome events that everyone is doing, but have not been to any of them!! I really need to just show up one of these times. My 8-year-old and 5-year-old boys just started staying overnight at their Dad's once a week, after their dad and I have been separated for 3 years and divorced for 2 years! Their dad now has a live-in girlfriend and her 13-year-old son, so now he can "handle" having them overnight. I'm happy and sad at the same time.
My first break-up song was "You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morissette (http://www.youtube.co...­. My 2nd break-up song is "Sistas are Doin It for Themselves." by Aretha Franklin & Annie Lennox (http://www.youtube.co...­. These songs helped me get through a lot!!
A former member
Post #: 8
What a great thread!

Ben Hecht got it right when he said, "Old songs are more than tunes. They are little houses in which our hearts once lived." No wonder we have theme songs for various phases of our lives.

I've been considering the theme of this thread and, although I have a big repertoire of song, I can't zero in on one or two that capture my last breakup. The divorce has gone through its phases and at the time I could identify a theme song for each. But at this point - 7 months out of the house, 2 weeks after the final hearing - I'm looking forward with little if any residual pullback. I guess my heart doesn't live in that house any more. But I'll keep on the lookout for songs that pull me back; they'll be good indicators of where my heart is really living.