Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › what is your breakup song

what is your breakup song

A former member
Post #: 1
John Mayer, Stop this Train. . .this song said it for me even though I don't think it is about breaking up but getting older. Heck, I am doing both.
A former member
Post #: 3
"Maybe" by Ingrid Michaelson... pretty upbeat and kind of realistic for a breakup song.

"The Promise" by Tracy Chapman... UGH, this song hits the spot in both a beautiful and gut-wrenchingly-sad way!!!
Brad
user 9893415
Middleton, WI
Two songs

Before: Big Shot - Billy Joel

After: Give It Away - George Strait

A former member
Before: Hurricane by Neil Young

During: The Clash: Should I Stay or Should I Go?

After: Before the Morning, Josh Wilson

After the breakup, I couldn't even listen to my favorite artist Neil Young without falling to pieces. We used to go to the concerts together. But I find now I've forgotten all about the connection and the music takes me back to my young free days and lifts my heart. I must be over it! Finally!! I think Josh Wilson had a lot to do with it....
A former member
Post #: 22
The song that really captures my last breakup is "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" by Elton John and Bernie Taupin (also by Suzy Bogguss on her "Simpatico" album with Chet Atkins). It captures my feelings about my ex's clear and deliberate indifference (her word). It's in the past now, but that song really captured it for a long time.
A former member
Post #: 74
During:
Goodnight Ladies by Lou Reed
Ghosts of American Astronauts by the Mekons
About the Weather by 10,000 Manaics
Can't Find My Keys by Mojo Nixon

After:
Bad Reputation by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
No Spill Blood by Oingo Boingo (Actually during)
If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out by Cat Stevens
Wilder, Wilder, Faster, Faster by the Cramps
A former member
The song that really captures my last breakup is "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" by Elton John and Bernie Taupin (also by Suzy Bogguss on her "Simpatico" album with Chet Atkins). It captures my feelings about my ex's clear and deliberate indifference (her word). It's in the past now, but that song really captured it for a long time.

I dont know when this question of "what is your breakup song" was posted....but...I have been divorced for 5 years and there is a fairly new country song out I'll Pray For You by Jaren, and I always think of my ex and giggle inside a little with the words to that song. It doesn't fit the usual sad or recovery type song, but I'm going to call it my break up song.
A former member
Post #: 2
In reflecting back over the past several years, there were a number of clues in songs I was listening to which were trying to tell me something.

First, my wife and I never had a "song." She wanted us to have one, and try as I might, none of them ever really made a connection to me in that way. I always thought one would come along, and I have a large music collection, but it never happened.

Second, as I went through the years, I picked up a number of sad love songs, that stayed with me. A collection that grew over time. There were nights when I would sit up late, by myself, and listen to sad love songs for an hour. And I never knew why. Not until the past few months when it finally dawned on me that I had been unhappy for a long, long time. When I pushed out of survival mode and confronted my inner feelings.

In particularly pretty much the entire Jackson Browne "Late for the Sky" album hit home for me. I've listened to it hundreds of times over the years. If I had to pick one song from it, I guess I would go with "Fountain of Sorrow." Acoustic version is here: http://www.youtube.co...­

Can one have a "breakup song" that they've been listening to for 30 years?
A former member
Post #: 19
This is an older post I thought alot about.. Music = very important to me. so after much thought.. I have no clue what Renee's song would be.. probably "F-that" by Korn. But mine is "someday" by Rob Thomas. here's the YouTube link

http://www.youtube.co...­

It's not about reconnecting. It's just about moving on with the kids.. together.

I worked out to this song a repeat for like 2 weeks towards the end. Some of the best workouts I've ever had.

I would also settle for anything sung in white pants.
A former member
Post #: 4
Definitely Jar of Hearts - Christine Perry for those with creepy ex (boyfriend,girlfriend ex-husband or ex-wife) who try to return after ripping your heart out!!! If that is your situation - you must listen to it.