align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Single Parents - Divorced Adults Group Message Board › Tell something about yourself

Tell something about yourself

Ken
user 10992199
Madison, WI
Post #: 6
Hi Everyone,

I was at a music meet-up last night (great show on the UW terrace), and someone asked me to tell something about myself. Something outside the normal "what do you do for a living?"

I liked the concept so much, I'm asking it of the group (if anyone wants to play along). Tell something interesting about yourself.

Maybe you've: skied the Alps. Saved someone's life with CPR. Raise honeybees. Don't have a TV in your house. Something unusual and positive that tells something about you. Whatever you like. We all have something.

Here's mine: I've had children's stories published, was a lifeguard for 3 years, and I saw 8 meteors last night while sitting on my deck (I also saw three of Jupiter's moons, and the northern cross).

When I told the others I liked to watch for meteors, someone instantly said they like astronomy and have a telescope, but don't know of any good places to set it up - which led to someone else saying . . . well, you get the idea. One simple question, and suddenly six of us were talking like old friends.

Anyone else want to try?

A former member
Post #: 1
Watching for meteors sounds interesting! The first thing that comes to mind about me that is outside the norm of what most people experience is that I spent the entire summer break from the time I was 10 until 19 working in Canada at my parent's fishing lodge.
Ken
user 10992199
Madison, WI
Post #: 7
Canada sounds neat, Dena. I know at least one other person in our group is from Canada.

If anyone else want to join, it doesn't have to be anything exotic.

Such as: when I was a kid, my siblings and I used to argue about who got to have the banana with the "Dole" sticker on it, because we thought that meant it was the best one of the bunch.
A former member
Post #: 8
ok I"ll play along.

I grew up on a farm, did chicken and pig chores every night. This was between Juneau and Clyman in Wisconsin (you can google it to find out where it is) and all my siblings were grown so I really didn't have many kids to play with as we weren't social with the neighbors.

Went to high school in Juneau and my last 3 years of grade school in Juneau also. My first 5 years were at a school in Clyman which was so small that I was the only kid in 2nd grade and I was one of two in first grade. That school is bulldozed now but I can show anybody where it used to be.

Not knowing what I wanted to do with my life, I got my first job in a canning factory in Clyman grading peas, shoving corn into a corn cutter, etc. and then worked at a video store and bindery (where we made magazines) in Beaver Dam.... then I got a job what used to be Perry Printing where we made labels. That's where I met my wife or STBX now...

that's all I will say now... I'll tempt you to ask if you wanna find out more.
Laura
user 6540411
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 78
I used to teach classes in conversational Italian (in the evenings part time). My father is Italian, I have a degree in Italian language and literature, I have been to Italy seven times so far, and I can't wait to go back. I love the food, the people, the language, the culture, the chaos, and I think it's heaven on earth. I am obsessed.

I really enjoyed teaching and was actually thinking of offering some classes to interested members. Any takers?
A former member
Great idea! While I was completing my BA and MS degrees I lived on a farm alone and took care of 250 head of beef cattle in exchange for rent, w/ absolutely no farming or livestock care in my background. I did this for about 8 years and had the time of my life. Very glad to be back home in Madison though. :)
Ken
user 10992199
Madison, WI
Post #: 8
Wow. Just, wow. 250?

And I thought I was being responsible when I cat-sit for my neighbors . . .
A former member
Post #: 2
It was actually a lot easier than it sounds . . . they're friendly and fun, albeit big. The hardest part was learning to drive and maneuver farm equipment in tight spaces. The worst part was when a couple dozen broke thru a fence and I had to round them up on foot. Good times. :)
A former member
Post #: 2
Laura- I would be interested in hearing more about classes. It is one of my dreams to go to Italy some day.

Jennifer that is incredible! One cow would be enough for me to take care of!
John H.
user 13208067
Madison, WI
OK, this is a good way to start as any, I suppose. I've had an...adventurous life. Not always good adventures mind you, but adventures nonetheless. Our family's definition of 'adventure' is this: "The point at which you recognize that you would be rather be back home reading a good book, sitting by a warm fire. When you're pulling yourself out of an icy stream after falling through the ice, that's an adventure. When you're sliding down a muddy hill holding a sign post you thought was firmly anchored in the ground, that's an adventure. Participating in a bear stampede, that's an adventure...(yes, been there) My dad likes to brag that his kids both had more 'adventures' by the time we were 18 than most grizzled old men. Let's see, I suppose for the purposes of this message board I should pick a positive one, at least.
When I was in Boy Scouts (yes I'm an eagle...) we took a 10 day high adventure trip backpacking in the Rocky Mountains. 50 miles on foot in 10 days, with elevations ranging from near sea level to over 11,000 ft. There was a peak up there, called the 'tooth of time', just over 11,000 ft elevation. Standing on top of that, looking down at the desert valley below...felt like being on top of the world. Amazing trip...we got to blacksmith our own metal tools, shoot black powder, cattle brand our boots, climb cliffs, rappel down even bigger cliffs, and got to the end with the knowledge that we had really accomplished something.

So a little bit about me, eh?

I love learning. It doesn't matter what it's about. I just love to learn. I'd have been a professional student if I could have. I love writing and telling stories, cooking, hiking, biking (even though I don't have a bike at the moment), camping, fishing (I love the outdoors in general) Shakespeare, acting... learning a new language, singing...(yes, I was also in choir for a LOT of years), and yes..to fully admit my geek-dom, I do enjoy Pen & paper D&D...

Don't know..this might be more than you were asking for...