addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Laura
user 6540411
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Hi All:

A couple of you have contacted me today regarding a spam message you received this morning entitled "Advance with your work online". I also received this message. Although I'm no techie, I'm guessing it's a computer virus that got into a member's address book and spammed our group's mailing list address.

Since it is very annoying to receive a lot of unnecessary emails, I do try very hard to control the number of emails folks receive from this group. But, unfortunately, I don't have any control over this and I don't know how to keep it from happening. I strongly recommend you simply delete the email without clicking the link, and contact the member to let him/her know it happened and that they may have a computer virus.

Please post any replies to this message to this thread on our message board.

Thanks,

Laura
Laura
user 6540411
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 79
Following is a message I just received from member John H.:

I am actually a software architect, and I can tell you unequivocally that any email you guys receive that has a short description and a link to a website is nearly always a fake (unless you were expecting the email), and is usually an attempt to get into your computer to use it in a spam-mail 'bot-net', or worse, an active attempt to crack your computer open. Best rule of thumb I can offer to everyone is that "if you weren't expecting it...don't open it."

Thanks for the info, John.