The Greater L.A. Skeptics Meetup Group Message Board › Re: Article: "Why the Atheist Movement Needs a Kick in the A&&"

Re: Article: "Why the Atheist Movement Needs a Kick in the A&&"

Sherri A.
mesherri
Group Organizer
Tujunga, CA
Hi all --

Might I suggest that we take further discussion of this article and associated ideas to the Meetup group Message Board? Since it still seems to be generating a good amount of comment, this will be a great opportunity to get used to using the Message Board for such discussion!

Sherri

http://skeptics.meetu...­
A former member
Post #: 4
Hi all --

Might I suggest that we take further discussion of this article and associated ideas to the Meetup group Message Board?

Ok.wink

Lois says: "A lot depends on your definition of excitement. I, and many atheists I know, like to learn new things and hear others' points of view."

I would be one of those people who is interested in a lot of different things, however many of atheist I know are not as open to hearing other points of view.

Lois says: "atheists tend to be more intellectual than non-atheists."

Many of the great philosophers throughout history have been religious. Many well known universities are connected with religious organizations.
So I think the statement above is very general.

Lois says: "It's been my experience that atheists are generally more moral as well."

I think it's really the other way around but OK.smile

Lois says: "If atheist pursuits are boring to you, perhaps you should join a religious community where there is all kinds of "excitement" going on."

That is a strange statement and also makes no sense. Speaking of the intellect, LOL.biggrin
Norma
A former member
Post #: 1
I don't know about other atheists but my life is full of just as much excitement as a theist's life would be.

"Lois says: "It's been my experience that atheists are generally more moral as well."

I think it's really the other way around but OK."

Then, why is the prison population grossly underrepresented by atheists? Why is atheism often associated (and rightly so) with humanism? I agree with Lois. smile (I'm like Lisa Simpson in that way.)

Other than that, I don't agree that there is or should be a movement. People will make up their own minds. I don't like going around, trying to deconvert people. Nor do I think we need a symbol or and LABEL. I should not have to announce that I don't believe in something; I shouldn't have to declare a negative. But the way people see faith as a give-in, non-faith sometimes needs to be declared. So I guess I'm really not sure.

I posted this essay on my blog to see what other's think. I only got one response and it wasn't in favor of the essay....at all.
A former member
Post #: 5
interhuss says: "Then, why is the prison population grossly underrepresented by atheists?"

I think that's a whole 'nother discussion. I do have an answer (opinion) but no facts so I won't start with that now.

interhuss says: "Why is atheism often associated (and rightly so) with humanism? I agree with Lois. (I'm like Lisa Simpson in that way.)"

Well! There's your problem right there. You are confusing reality with a cartoon. LOL!laughing

I see Humanism as no different from Christianity but without the god part and to me that's not such a great thing to be. However, there are many different kinds of people who are atheists and from my experience they don't agree on a lot of things in and outside of the philosophy of atheism. Humanists are IMO only a small part of the greater atheist community.