RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/ProvocateursAndPeacemakers/events/97338252/
and join the Provocateurs & Peacemakers for:
"GUNS, EDIBLE FERNS, &
—TWO-TOPIC NIGHT (for the price of one):
PART 1: GUNS
Esteemed scholar Eric Dollard will come armed (with lots of stats) to lead an informed discussion on the facts and opinions on American gun ownership, violent crime, existing and proposed gun laws, the Second Amendment,
conceal & carry laws, and protecting school children and crowds in public places.
Questions to cogitate:
- Why are Americans so enamored with guns? (We have by far the highest rate of gun ownership in the world.)
- How can the U S reduce its incidence of violent crime?
- What kind of gun laws should we adopt? Should these laws be on the state or federal level?
- What does the Second Amendment really say? Is it still relevant? Should it be repealed?
- What should we do to more effectively protect our schoolchildren? Or people in crowded public places (i.e., shopping malls)?
- Should conceal and carry be allowed?
Eric would like to go around the room with each question so that everyone has the chance to voice his or her opinion (or pass).
PART 2: PASS THE TOFU: TO
VEGETATE OR NOT TO VEGETATE
For the second part of the evening, Cole Morgan (who's been vegetating, that is, refraining, from meat products for months now and reading extensively on the subject) and Eric will present some questions (and information) about vegetarianism.
- Are you, or have you ever been, a vegetarian?
- Why are some people vegetarians?
- Is a vegetarian diet healthier, or less healthy, than a diet that includes meat?
- Is vegetarianism better for the planet?
- Are there some serious moral issues in how our meat industry treats animals?
Take a second to RSVP at the link above now. It helps us and the Perkins staff know how to set up.
Come early at 6:45 to get a good seat, get to know folks, and order drinks, desert, or a meal.
Afterward: Many of us will go out to continue the conversation (or pursue new ones) nearby at The Green Mill or Callahan's.
Fred Heeren / [address removed] / [masked]