align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Orlando Small Dogs & Puppy Meetup Group Message Board › Healthy Wet dog food recommendation needed

Healthy Wet dog food recommendation needed

A former member
Post #: 1

Hello Dog Lovers!

I have 5 year old silky terrier. He is my sweet little boy who I love very much. He has been eating Cesar since I got him as a little puppy. I know that Cesar is not healthy. He does not like dry food. I tried Purina wet food and he did not like it. I really want to gradually switch him to a more healthier wet food. Can you recommend anything? Tahnk you.

Katrina
Lesley A.
orlnurse
Orlando, FL
Post #: 4
Here is an excellent source of information
http://www.dogfoodana...­

I personally like the Wellness brand canned food. Wellness can be found at Petco, Pet Supermarket, and Petsmart. Hope this helps.
A former member
Post #: 2
Thank you for the suggestion. I will see if my doggy likes it. biggrin
Kris V.
user 4364202
Group Organizer
Orlando, FL
Post #: 25
I agree! The Wellness Brand is good, high quality food!
A former member
Post #: 3
Thank you all for replies. Where do you buy Wellness brand? Do they sell it at Petsmart or any other pet store or you buy it on line? Any recommendations how to gradually switch my silky to Wellness brand? I really don't want him to eat Cesar anymore. He had Cesar for 5 years now. Thank you.
Kris V.
user 4364202
Group Organizer
Orlando, FL
Post #: 26
"Leslie, Maw, and Lily" says Wellness can be found at Petco, Pet Supermarket, and Petsmart. They also sell it at Woof Gang bakery.
When you switch any food make sure to add the new food gradually. So over a week of time add more of the new food and less of the old until you have all new food. If your dog doesn't have a picky digestive system, I also recommend using a mixture of two different types of high quality food for a more balanced diet. I feed my girls solid food..... but I mix the Nature Born Brand with Solid Gold Brand.
A former member
Post #: 6

Thank you for the information, Kris. I found the Wellness brand at Petsmart today. So happy my doggy is going to eat much healthier now. biggrin
Janet B.
PapillonOne
Maitland, FL
Post #: 8

Hello Dog Lovers!

I have 5 year old silky terrier. He is my sweet little boy who I love very much. He has been eating Cesar since I got him as a little puppy. I know that Cesar is not healthy. He does not like dry food. I tried Purina wet food and he did not like it. I really want to gradually switch him to a more healthier wet food. Can you recommend anything? Tahnk you.

Katrina

Hi Katrina,
Often you can go to a store like Pookie's Bow Wow Bakery at Fairbanks & Nicolet in Winter Park and look at all the wonderful premium brands & flavors of food they sell. I like many brands and switch my two Papillon's food with each can I open ...the brand changes and the protein source changes each time to give them variety. I use canned foods mostly and like Evangers, Canidae, Merrick (though my one dog does not tend to like foods with gravy), Innova, Instinct, Evo, Blue Buffalo are just a few that I use. Many of these brands are also being sold at Petsmarts and Pet Supermarket but they also sell the less desirable brands where Pookies does not. If nothing else, you can use Pookies as a sort of benchmark and then once you know what you like you can check out other stores for the brands you want to purchase though I've found the pricing is pretty comparable. (Petco is the only store that I find the prices are much higher.)

Definitely check out the website the other person gave you too. Variety is healthy for a dog's digestive tract so don't believe the bs that giving the dog the same thing every day will keep it healthy - I read somewhere that Purina came up with that line for their marketing ads. Feeding the same thing every day has been proven to cause food allergies. Glad you are improving your furbaby's diet! He'll live longer and may very well see an improvement of his coat and his energy...don't forget to improve your knowledge regarding the new vaccination protocols- over vaccinating can easily kill our dogs especially the toy breeds. www.truth4dogs.com is a great website for learning about that topic and also www.dogaware.com has some great info too! Thanks for asking! Janet & Colt & Bubba
A former member
Post #: 7

Thank you so much for valuable information. I have been giving him Wellness for two days and I am just learning which flavors he likes and which he does not like. He likes lamb flavor and did not really like chicken. I have a very picky eater! biggrin Thank you for sharing info about vaccines. I vaccinate my silky with Rabies and Bortadella every year.

Katrina
Cecille and Joe an...
user 8888085
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 12
I highly recommend Stella & Chewy's freeze dried dog food. They come in patties. You just add 1/4 cup of warm water and it warms it up and hydrates. We use it occasionally with our dogs kibble (Taste of the Wild Pacific blend) and our doggies loooove it!