Orlando Small Dogs & Puppy Meetup Group Message Board › Therapy Dog Training In Four Corners Area

Therapy Dog Training In Four Corners Area

user 30872422
Clermont, FL
Post #: 2
Hi all,

A darling little morkie has me and she is just a gem! I would like very much to share her love with others, but I can't seem to find a class to help us out. Anyone know where we may find training for therapy dogs?

Amy F.
Orlando, FL
Post #: 7
Here are two of the most respected therapy dog groups:

The first is the link to the organization that, until quite recently. used to be called Delta Society.
(Schooner and I belong to Pet Partners.)

The second link is to Therapy Dogs Inc (TDI) which is NOT the same as Therapy Dogs International.

At each site you'll find info on how to become a volunteer...with your dog, of course.
Amy F.
Orlando, FL
Post #: 8
To answer your question, though, it appears from the web site that Therapy Dogs Inc has several Tester/Observers in the Metro Orlando area that you could contact for an "evaluation" for your Morkie.

Also, Pet Partners will be holding a handler's training course on January 13th in Naples, FL.

TDI vetting BEGINS with an evaluation while PP ENDS with an evaluation of both you and your dog in action.
Kris V.
user 4364202
Group Organizer
Orlando, FL
Post #: 31
Once your dog has gone though observation/training with a national group such as Therapy Dogs Inc., Pet Partners formerly Delta Society, or Therapy Dogs International then the SPCA has a volunteer program for therapy dogs. you can get this info. on their web site:

Anyone who has ever loved a pet knows there is comfort – and even healing power – that can come from the unconditional love of an animal. As a Pet Therapy Team, you and your own family pet will bring joy, education, companionship, and stimulation to people in need. Pet Therapy Teams routinely visit senior citizens, children, and adults in facilities that have contracts with our organization. Teams--especially those with rescued dogs and cats--will also assist in community education programs and events. Volunteers must be willing to purchase a background check ($10), T-shirt and ID. All pets and their handlers must first obtain liability insurance through a national group such as Therapy Dogs Inc., Pet Partners formerly Delta Society, or Therapy Dogs International. For safety reasons, pets must be at least 18 months old, spayed or neutered, and up to date on their vaccinations. Each team is required to make a minimum of two visits per month. For more information, please contact our Pet Therapy Coordinator at PetTherapy@OrlandoPets.org or call 407-351-7722 extension 3787.