The Great Sugar Loaf (501m) is an icon of the north Wicklow/Dublin area. Quarzite boulders and scree spill over the summit and down the steep slopes, lending it a dramatic profile reminiscent of a volcano. It commands fantastic views over the coastline below.
This walk requires a GOOD level of fitness.
IT IS NECESSARY TO WEAR HIKING BOOTS.
This is a strict requirement.
NO HIKING BOOTS = NO WALK
Please note that people wearing footwear other than proper HIKING BOOTS will notbe allowed to take part in the walk.
What else to bring:
- Gaiters (optional).
- Walking sticks (optional)
- Plenty of water/fruit juices
- Packed lunch (sandwiches/wraps/rolls can also be purchased at the On The Run service station before starting the walk)
- Wind proof jacket (dress in layers: you will feel warm during the walk but as we approach the top it will be rather windy)
MEETING TIME: 11.45pm
STARTING TIME: 12pm sharp
APPROX. DURATION: 2 hours and 40 mins.
PLEASE NOTE: the walk might be postponed depending on weather conditions
Start and return: Kilmacanogue Service Station/The Glencormac Inn.
*About 1 hour and 15 minutes – to reach the base of the scree
*20 minutes – lunch break (walkers will NOT be allowed to climb to the top // I need to be strict as it is a very steep and slippery ascent requiring both feet AND HANDS!!)
*About 55 minutes to walk downhill back to the service station
*Stop at the service station for tea/coffee/sandwiches/toasts/soup
We will follow a path going around the mountain towards south. The path terrain is quite challenging in some parts:
- Wide grassy path and narrow rocky path through bushes of gorse and ferns; a small section of the path is muddy all year round
- The path is wide in some parts but very narrow and rocky in other parts
- The ascent is gradual and mild for about 2/3 of the path but the last part is quite steep
HOW TO GET THERE:
By car: take the N11 and exit at Kilmacanogue. There is a car park at the Glencormac Inn.
By bus: take bus 145 (runs from Heuston station through the city centre).
There is a bus every 15 minutes starting on the hour so you will need to take the bus leaving Heuston station at 10.45am or 11am at the latest.
PLEASE TEXT ME IF YOU ARE ON THE BUS BUT YOU SEE THAT YOU MIGHT ARRIVE LATE, AND WE WILL WAIT FOR YOU. If you don't text and I don't know you are on your way, we will not see the need to start later than 12pm.
PLEASE NOTE: you are responsible for yourself on the mountain at all times.
Pls view itinerary here:
My mobile number for the walk:[masked]