February 8, 2013 · 7:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
Join ~MC~ and the Fanatics as we catch one of this year's Academy Award nominated films in the running for the coveted Best Picture prize: "Beasts of The Southern Wild." In addition to its' Best Picture nomination, the film has 3 other nominations including Best Actress, Best Director and Adapted Screenplay.
Instead of plunking out $12 bucks at a theatre, we will watch this members-only screening of this film in the home of V.I.P. member and event hostess, Allison Gibson on February 8, 2013 at 7:00 pm. V.I.P. members will be given priority over other SCMF members.
THE PLOT: Hushpuppy, an intrepid six-year-old girl, lives with her father, Wink, in the Bathtub, a southern Delta community at the edge of the world. Wink's tough love prepares her for the unraveling of the universe; for a time when he's no longer there to protect her. When Wink contracts a mysterious illness, nature flies out of whack, temperatures rise, and the ice caps melt, unleashing an army of prehistoric creatures called aurochs. With the waters rising, the aurochs coming, and Wink's health fading, Hushpuppy goes in search of her lost mother.
Visit the film's website for more info including trailers.
- Any remaining SCMF members will be moved from "Waiting List" to "Yes" status until capacity is reached. RSVPs are capped at 20 people.
- There is nothing like food for the soul, so we're meeting at Allison's home at 7:00 pm for a Southern-inpsired potluck. Bring a dish that will feed at least 4-6 people. Our home cooks can check out Healthy Southern Recipes and Menus or Deep South Dish: Recipes for Potlucks for inspiration. These Pasadena-area restaurants offer take-out on call-ahead basis or you can go the store-bought route. This event is free to attend, but you must bring your favorite dish -- Southern-inpsired is preferred.
- In your RSVP comments, indicate what non-vegetarian or vegetarian dish you're bringing (entree, side, appetizer or dessert) so that we don't have a duplicate of items. Members are welcome to BYOB -- please drink responsibly. Utensils, napkins and cups will be provided. Bring your own plastic containers if you would like to take any left-overs.
- Showtime at 7:45 PM. Please read and adhere to the SoCal Movie Fanatics Ground Rules & Event Disclaimer listed below as this is a Limited Attendance event. Directions to the location will be sent 24 hours prior to this event to "YES" RSVPs with profile pictures.
By RSVP'ing "Yes" to attend this event, you agree to the following terms:
- A Meetup profile photo of yourself (No dogs or flowers) is required to RSVP for and attend this limited attendance event for security reasons. Members who RSVP YES without uploading a profile photo will have their RSVP's changed to "No."
- By accepting "Yes" to attend, you will not hold SoCal Movie Fanatics (Group Organizer, Assistant Organizers, Event Organizers, Event Host/Hostess, and its' members) responsible for any accident, injury, or illness that you incurred by attending this event. The SoCal Movie Fanatics Organizers Team & Event Host/Hostess reserves the right to add, change, or delete the attendees of this event.