The topic for this month is: Should monarchy be abolished?
With the births of Prince George and Prince Hisahito, the world's two largest monarchies have recently seen the emergence of a new generation of heirs. We'd like to discuss the value of monarchy in modern society, and whether the institution ought to be preserved.
For background on this issue, you may wish to read "Why does the UK love the monarchy?" by Mark Easton at the BBC, and a similar article about Japan by journalist David McNeill.
A special note for this month: Martin and Tyson will be coordinating a second group for those that on the RSVP waiting list. It will be at the same time but a different place, and we'll all meet together at Failte afteward. Please see the message board for details.
1) We will hold the discussion at Gonpachi from 3:00pm to 5:00pm, then move to Failte for more open discussion afterward.
2) If this is your first time joining us, please note that Meetup's map for Gonpachi is incorrect! The correct location can be seen here on Google Maps. Also, information about Failte can be found at their webpage.
3) Though there is no charge for the meetup, please order at least a drink or a snack at Gonpachi as they have been kind enough to allow us to use their space without any charge.
4) Please keep your RSVP as up-to-date as possible, even if you're updating on the morning of the meeting.
5) Please try to be on time. If you'll be more than 30 minutes late, please consider joining us after we finish around 5:00pm.