The topic for this month is: When are emotions helpful or harmful?
This question is posed in the introduction to "Do Emotions Help Or Hurt Decision Making?", a collection of discussions on the effect of emotions on human behavior and well-being. A portion of book is viewable online here, and can be used as a survey of how these issues are being approached by modern researchers.
For a shorter introduction into such ideas, you may wish to watch this interview with Roy Baumeister, one of the book's editors, as well as this excerpt from a Q&A session with Antonio Damasio, another leading academic in the field of cognitive neuroscience.
A special note for this month: Those on the waiting list can still attend the alternate meetup, which is held at a different location. Please see the message board and conversation below for details.
1) We will hold the discussion at Gonpachi from 3:00pm to 5:00pm, then move to Failte for more open discussion afterward.
2) If this is your first time joining us, please note that Meetup's map for Gonpachi is incorrect! The correct location can be seen here on Google Maps. Also, information about Failte can be found at their webpage.
3) Though there is no charge for the meetup, please order at least a drink or a snack at Gonpachi as they have been kind enough to allow us to use their space without any charge.
4) Please keep your RSVP as up-to-date as possible, even if you're updating on the morning of the meeting.
5) Please try to be on time. If you'll be more than 30 minutes late, please consider joining us after we finish around 5:00pm.