The topic for this month is "Is the fundamental nature of relationships changing?"
Recently, many Western media sources have reported on new attitudes toward relationships amongst young Japanese, including a reduced interest in sex, finding a partner or starting a family. We'd like to discuss the causes of these phenomena, as well as whether they are specific to Japan or part of a worldwide trend.
For a sample of views on this issue, you may wish to read "Japan Shrinks" by the economist Nicholas Eberstadt, as well as "I want to be alone: the rise and rise of solo living" by sociologist Eric Klinenberg.
Please note that in order to accommodate as many people as possible, we will be holding two events at the same time. If you RSVP and are on the "Yes" list, please meet us at Gonpachi as listed in this announcement. Those on the waiting list are welcome to join the alternate meetup at Failte, which will be described further in the event comments.
1) We will hold the discussion at Gonpachi from 3:00pm to 5:00pm, then move to Failte for more open discussion afterward.
2) If this is your first time joining us, please note that Meetup's map for Gonpachi is incorrect! The correct location can be seen here on Google Maps. Also, information about Failte can be found at their webpage.
3) Though there is no charge for the meetup, please order at least a drink or a snack at Gonpachi/Failte as they have been kind enough to allow us to use their space without any charge.
4) Please keep your RSVP as up-to-date as possible, even if you're updating on the morning of the meeting.
5) Please try to be on time. If you'll be more than 30 minutes late, please consider joining us after we finish around 5:00pm.