Madison Area Software Developers Meetup Group Message Board › Moving to Madison from London.

Moving to Madison from London.

Tim D.
user 23581581
London, GB
Post #: 1
Hi Guys,

I am a c#.net developer based in London looking to move to the Madison area in July. I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the current job market in Madison. For Example Contract vs Perm. etc etc.

My wife is American and studied at UW, we are just waiting for the final steps of the green card process therefore I don't require sponsorship.

If anyone has an opportunity that might be suitable I am happy to send copy of my resume.

I will definitely attend a meet-up next time I am in WI.

Regards,

Tim
Don H.
dhenton
Middleton, WI
Post #: 9
I was a bit new to the area myself and my experience is in the Java area. I have found the job market to be divided into two basic camps a larger more traditional working environment associated with large insurance organizations (Fortune 500) and smaller startups. Not sure how C# fits into things. I would imagine others might know more. IMHO, the coolest thing about the environment is that there is a kind of limited supply of developers, so it's possible to have a bit more standing in employment discussions, something a bit more than grovelling mendicant. From what I can piece together, web development is always cool and phone development is hot right now, as you might already know.

Good luck and look forward to seeing you at the next meeting, hope you like German beers!

Hi Guys,

I am a c#.net developer based in London looking to move to the Madison area in July. I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the current job market in Madison. For Example Contract vs Perm. etc etc.

My wife is American and studied at UW, we are just waiting for the final steps of the green card process therefore I don't require sponsorship.

If anyone has an opportunity that might be suitable I am happy to send copy of my resume.

I will defiantly attend a meet-up next time I am in WI.

Regards,

Tim

Paul M.
stele
Group Organizer
Middleton, WI
Post #: 27
Hi Tim and welcome to the group! As Don said there is plenty of opportunity here and it mostly depends on what interests you. Though I also don't know much about the C# situation. Try sending an email to Jodi Powers of APEX Systems - they are a recruiter and may be able to help you. http://www.apexsystem...­
emmanuel b.
user 10069957
Madison, WI
Post #: 13
Hi Tom,
Well, my response will depend on which team you support. Manchester, Liverpool or Arsenal. We all know the rest don't count. lol. Sorry couldn't resist. Back to the question. Speaking as a .net developer (c#,f#) in the area, rest assured you wont have any problem finding a jobs. The issue will be finding something that's specific to your interest. Can you let us know were your expertise lie ie. front-end with asp.net, asp.net mvc etc , middleware with wcf, wf, .net services etc. With that, we should be able to point you in the right direction.
Tim D.
user 23581581
London, GB
Post #: 2
Thanks guys, that's great news...

In order of importance

Beer - After English Ale is there any other beer than German!

Football (Soccer) - It has to be Arsenal, as I live 30 seconds from where the Gunners were born.

Apex Systems - I actually sent Jodi an email just before I posted here. Thanks Paul

Expertise - Whilst I have most experience in asp.net I am currently moving to MVC. When I started my current position I was the first .net developer therefore I worked on everything from asp.net to winforms and .net services to office plugins. So I guess what am saying is I am more of a generalist. I have experience in Finance and Telecoms but I am not fussy when it comes to industry.
Paul M.
stele
Group Organizer
Middleton, WI
Post #: 28
Well you're in luck on the beer front. Madison has a huge and wonderful local beer selection, and some excellent beer bars offering a wide selection of English and German beers. I find the variety better, in general, than that of a "typical" London pub, though you tend to get a lot more American super-hopped beers which I am not fond of. Several places offer beers on cask but unfortunately it's hard to find a "proper" English bitter at the correct temperature.
One of my requirements for choosing meetup venues is the presence of a decent beer selection.

You may want to look into TDS Metrocom as a possible Telecom to work for.

What is your ETA in the area? You'll probably be missing the worst of our winter, which is generally much colder than over there, though I hear your winter was on the whole much nastier than ours this year, which is a rarity.
David K
davidkassa
Madison, WI
Post #: 5
+1 for beer

The company I work for, Quest Software, is looking for some good people. We have mostly backend/service positions that require additional c++ knowledge open right now. The openings are always changing. You can find the positions for our Madison lab here: Quest Software - Madison Positions
David K
davidkassa
Madison, WI
Post #: 6
Also being a .NET guy you might want to join the MADdotNET google group. There's also a specific job group.
Evan Z.
podnov
Madison, WI
Post #: 10
I've enjoyed working with the folk over at MarketingPilot in the past. They have a .Net opening you may want to look into:

http://jobview.monste...­
Mike P.
user 11845648
Madison, WI
Post #: 1
I'll also put in a plug for my company Epic. We're a healthcare software company who provides software for some of the largest and most prestigious healthcare organizations around.

Currently we do a lot of our client side coding in VB6, but we're trying to hire as many good developers as we can so we can as we're gearing up to rewrite our client in ASP.NET/C#.

We have very competitive pay and a great working environment. Also our software is used by lots of doctors and nurses to care for more than 20% of the nation's population, so the software you write will help save lives!

Visit this link if you'd like to learn more.
https://www.epic.com/position-developer­