addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Southbay Friends: Boardgames & More Message Board › We are considering a location change for our Thursday night events....opinio

We are considering a location change for our Thursday night events....opinions wanted....

Meetha
TheThinker
San Jose, CA
Post #: 12
There are lots of other gaming groups in the Sunnyvale-Mt View area- yahoo on Mondays, Mt View Community Center on Tuesdays, Jake's Pizza in Sunnyvale, etc but not as many in West San Jose or Campbell. I also live in South San Jose so would prefer West SJ or Campbell. I'm going to follow through w/ Flames and call them to make sure we're welcome back. I'll let you know the verdict sometime this weekend.
Karlo
user 10984517
San Jose, CA
Post #: 2
Seriously, a place with a 10pm closing time? So, if you want to play two games instead of one, they both need to be short ones. I don't see this as an improvement. (It's also further away for me, making it less likely that I'll get there under my own power.)
A former member
Post #: 9
Personally I'd want to give Flames 2 weeks before deciding. But after 1 week my take is:

Table size: Plus to Carrows. Tables at Flames were mostly too small to eat and play at the same time.

Price: Equal. Why do I say this when Flames is clearly more expensive? Because the servings are larger and therefore I can take home half, so the prices are the same "per meal".

Clean tables: Plus to Flames.

Clean restrooms: Plus plus plus to Flames (and it wasn't even totally clean!)

Clean restaurant: Equal

Service: Very hard to judge at only 1 visit, but Flames seemed to have a slight edge. Although our waitress forgot a lot of things.

Speed of food delivery: Plus to Flames

Food quality: Again hard to judge at only 1 visit. I really liked my main course. I thought Flames was going to at least equal Carrows until I bought 2 Flames desserts to take home. My husband and I tasted both and they were exceptionally gross. I never touched another bite of either.

Closing time: Plus to Carrows. I really think this is the deal breaker. If we start at 6:30 and don't have room to play and eat at the same time, we'll be starting our first game after 7. If by 9:30 we have to be worrying about finishing on time, we'll be inclined not to start new games past 8 or 8:30.

I actually think this is at least as much hardship for fans of short games as for fans of long games. And it certainly could reduce our cooperativeness: it's harder to agree to a game you feel lukewarm about if it's likely to be the only game you get to play during the evening.

Time pressure might also make people less willing to teach games. Part of our strength is our willingness (hopefully eagerness) to teach new games to new people, and for that matter to teach new games to regulars, too. I'd hate to see that go away because of time pressure.

More on table size: Flames also loses the congeniality of a large table we can all sit around at until we sort ourselves into games. Worst of all, it faces everyone, especially newcomers and latecomers, with the awkwardness of figuring out where to sit. Do we need to figure out what we are going to play before we can sit down? Do we tell someone to leave where they are sitting once the folks they are sitting with decide to play a game with someone else and want the space for that player?

"Sketchy neighborhood": Yes, I agree the parking lot at Carrows FEELS sketchy, but I've never actually had a single problem there. I've never actually even seen a problem, just some police cruisers. Has anyone ever seen a problem?
Stephen
user 8794520
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 14
I can't make Thursdays very often, but I'm also in MtnView so I prefer Sunnyvale/Santa Clara/MtnView places.

One 24h location (not a restaurant) is Happy Donuts Palo Alto (El Camino Real/Oregon). 22 bus to Caltrain.
Nearby decent restaurant: Celia's Mexican restaurant (closes 10pm).

Any decent food place is going to close by 10pm so I think if you want to go late you have to pick a combination like that. Or else church halls, community centers.

Two other cheap-decent-food places that are very quiet in the evenings are:
- Dosa N' Biryani, Sunnyvale (off 237/Fair Oaks/101) Closes 9:30pm. Lotsa table space.
- Sunny Bowl Korean, Mountain View (Shoreline/Plymouth off 101, opp Google) Closes 9pm, might be flexible for large group, you could ask, it's a nice place but dying for business in the evenings.

The Yahooligans might have location suggestions.
Meetha
TheThinker
San Jose, CA
Post #: 13
I live in South San Jose so i wouldn't want to lead a meetup any further north than Santa Clara or maybe South Sunnyvale, Palo Alto would be too far for me to come on a regular basis. I'm going to look at some restaurants in Campbell and West San Jose to see if they would be open to having a gaming group.

I think I'll stick to Flame's until we find another alternative spot but others are welcome to lead meetups elsewhere. Just let me know where and when you want to host and I can post it to the group for you :)

One thing, the manager at Flame's was quite upset that a few people did NOT order anything off of the menu last Thursday and we agreed that all participants must order at least $10 worth of food of the menu (including tips so if you get an $8 appetizer and the tip brings the total to over $10 that's ok). They are a business and I agree that it is quite generous of them to let us stay much longer than the average diner so it's only polite that everyone order food.