Southbay Friends: Boardgames & More Message Board › We are considering a location change for our Thursday night events....opinio

We are considering a location change for our Thursday night events....opinions wanted....

Meetha
user 2572013
San Jose, CA
Post #: 10
Hello Everyone,

Some of us were talking about changing the venue for our Thursday night gaming events from Carrow's to another restaurant.

We are willing to consider venues in Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, West San Jose, Cupertino, and Campbell.
I have called Flames by Valley Fair to see if they would be willing to host us and am waiting for a response from the manager. If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to post them on here.

The place must be big enough to comfortably accommodate up 20 gamers on a weekly basis (lots of room and large tables), be well-lit, have plentiful free parking, and not too noisy (pubs are out!). It would also be nice if they have a private back area or semi-private area separate from the other customers and were right by light rail or bus line that runs at night.

If you have any suggestions, please post them on here. If you also prefer to stay at Carrow's in Santa Clara, let us know.

Looking forward to your feedback,
Meetha
A former member
Post #: 7
Another location instead of Carrow's would be great! I do not have any ideas except something with godd and healthy food. Sonoma Chicken in Campbell has a room. Is there a Fudruckers in the area?
Kati
user 6466966
San Jose, CA
Post #: 6
Mini Gourmet, 599 S. Bascom Ave (across from SJ City College), San Jose 95128
(408)275-8973

It's supposed to open 24 hours daily.

It doesn't look big & seems to serve the typical food (not too healthy in my opinion) as others.
pamela
user 4710020
San Jose, CA
Post #: 16
mini gourmet is very expensive and understaffed if you want service. It is also very small and tables cannot be moved.

There is a small donut shop open 24 hours on meridian called yumyum donuts. The coffee is good and it is small but the tables move and it is not crowded.

There is a denny on bas com open 24 hours with good service and plenty of space.

There is a place on hamilton in campbell pie place open 24 hours and lots of room
Karlo
user 10984517
San Jose, CA
Post #: 1
It could be nice to find a place that's open 24h, so players with no time constraints could play a longish game without having to worry about staying past closing time. But my impression was that at Carrow's we get way more table space than we'd be likely to find elsewhere at that hour, so I'm inclined to keep it there.
Meetha
user 2572013
San Jose, CA
Post #: 11
Thanks for the responses but I heard back from the management at Flame's on Winchester's and they said they would be happy to have us there this coming Thursday from 6:30PM to 10PM (unfortunately they close at 10). We would have a semi-private backroom to ourselves and while it IS required that all gamer's order at least one item on the menu, there is no set minimum. They are well lit and in an area with plentiful parking and also near the 23 bus line (which runs frequently at all hours).

I'm going to give it a try this Thursday and if we don't like or if they don't like us, we can move back to Carrow's the following week.
A former member
Post #: 2
Yes! Please move it! I haven't been in a while because it's 85 degrees at Carrow's and I just refuse to be there.
A former member
Post #: 8
I'd prefer further north (Santa Clara or Sunnyvale) but that's just me.

For the group as a whole I think the important thing is that it be an actual restaurant. There are plenty of games groups around, but what makes ours special is that we get to order a meal.

So I would vote for any restaurant with actual sit-down service (not counter order) and a full menu.

I also think 11 should be the minimum closing time. Not that we'll always stay till 11, but moving that will-we-finish-on-time? nervousness any earlier would be a problem.

Carrow's menu isn't perfect but at least the food always seems fresh and well-prepared (and relatively inexpensive). Also, any place with all-day breakfast is automatically somewhat vegetarian-friendly.

I'd love to lose the horrible 3rd-world restrooms at Carrows, but I would miss our dining room. The amount of leeway we're given to spread out our games and meals over multiple tables will be hard to beat.

Also, I think at least a week's notice should be given of any change...including announcing it at the previous meeting. I bet a couple of people won't see this in time and will show up at Carrows tonight.

And finally, because Pacificon is this weekend, the number of people who turn out at Flames today probably won't be a good guide to how many people would come on a more normal Thursday.
Kim S.
kimjoys
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 1
For me personally, Flames is a bit too far south. It's also a bit more expensive than Carrow's and it closes at 10pm. This seems a little early for those of us who prefer long and painful games. =) I don't think I would come regularly anymore if it moved to Flames. :(
David
runelord2
San Jose, CA
Post #: 18
Flames is better than Carrows: better food, no noisy transformer, better A/C, better service, nothing sketchy going in the the parking lot. I noticed we picked up a few more people from Campbell Boardgame (probably because it's closer to Campbell). And, we may lose a few from the up farther toward the Penninsula. I'm OK staying with Flames for a while. Still would like to find a nicer place around Sunnyvale/Santa Clara/MtnView.