Italian Greyhounds of the South Bay Message Board › What coats/jackets/parkas are working best for your IGs in the cold and rain?

What coats/jackets/parkas are working best for your IGs in the cold and rain?

A former member
Post #: 1
My wife and I recently brought home two 5-month-olds, and despite the coats we're using they aren't too happy about the cold and the rain.

Do any of you have recommendations for great outdoor clothing that your IGs love for Nothern California winter weather?
A former member
I honestly don't know why anyone would sell you two pups at one time, it makes your lives almost impossible to train them and know who is doing what. I don't know anyone who would do that. Good luck with training. And if they are male and female, please neuter at least the male asap, as a 5 mos old is quite capable of siring a litter. Then the female around 6 mos.

In any event many of you already know about Nona and her coats. Her website is: http://doggiedudsbyno...­

Those of you who have been to the SF Bay iggies groups already know about Nona. And by the way she should be at the show the end of the month at the Cow Palace, so that is a great place to buy specially made IG jammies and coats. But it is also the one show of the year that you cannot bring your dog, so take good measurements, there is a chart on the website. She will also be at the 4 day show in Santa Clara on Feb 18th weekend.

Next place is http://www.houndtogs....­ for more of the heavy coats, I don't think Erin makes jammies.

For a lightweight raincoat other than Nona's there is Susan at http://toastiecoats.t...­

That should give you a good start in IG/whippet clothing at reasonable prices and very well fitted.

Vikki
A former member
Post #: 2
In any event many of you already know about Nona and her coats. Her website is: http://doggiedudsbyno...­

Next place is http://www.houndtogs....­ for more of the heavy coats, I don't think Erin makes jammies.

For a lightweight raincoat other than Nona's there is Susan at http://toastiecoats.t...­

Thanks for the suggestions, Vikki -- we didn't know about Nona. And thanks for the offer to come help us train the pups!

Regards,
Eric
chris and Marco an...
user 10285671
San Francisco, CA
I appreciate your question and answer (lol) and envy you getting two IGs at once. I wish I had two growing up together. It is unfortunate that jealous breeders are interjecting there spiteful comments. Im sure a breeder would actually have helpful information, oh well.
Chris
A former member
Post #: 3
I appreciate your question and answer (lol) and envy you getting two IGs at once. I wish I had two growing up together. It is unfortunate that jealous breeders are interjecting there spiteful comments. Im sure a breeder would actually have helpful information, oh well.
Chris

Chris -- There are two sides to the issue of adopting littermates. On the one hand, the degree of difficulty in training is much higher, and so fulfilling the responsibility of preparing the dogs to live happily in the human world is a much tougher challenge. It's reasonable to call that out. In our case, we're enlisting a lot of help, including a lot of professional dog training help, to try to make sure we fulfill that responsibility, but it's fair to call out the fact that it can be super hard.

On the other hand, Crash and Zoom (our puppies) have a unique bond, and if we can raise them to be happy, independent dogs while preserving that bond, that will be special. We're working hard to try to do that...but at the same time, we're humble about how hard it's going to be.

The great thing to me about groups like this one is that we can help each other (and find each other for play dates).

Speaking of which...if anyone is up for a mellow on-leash IG social walk on Saturday morning (11-ish) from Los Gatos town, walking up the LG Creek Trail toward the dam, please let me know. Crash and Zoom would love to have some company.

-Eric
Lara
user 11555285
San Jose, CA
http://www.igrescueit...­

Has a lot of great items and $ benefits rescue...
A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks, Lara -- great suggestion.
A former member
Chris

Chris how sad for you that you have misinterpreted the meaning of my post entirely. As a matter of fact almost no responsible breeders sell two pups at one time as it makes it truly hard on the owners, and if first time owners, then doubly hard. Into a very experienced IG house, sometimes with care.

If you think I'm jealous, then think again. I haven't bred a litter in almost 3 yrs and have nothing to sell. But I get more than 10 inquiries a week. I couldn't possibly fill that need even if I wanted to. I refuse to be a puppymill that just breeds dogs for money and has litters available several times a year or a month. What I do instead is to help each person to figure out if the breed is truly for them, and then if it's a good match and I've answered all their questions, then I do my level best to send them or refer them to a good responsible breeder who does health testing on all their dogs till they die. This thereby ensures that they are doing their level best to keep our breed not only healthy and as free as possible of genetic diseases, but that the breed still remains beautiful and conforms to the AKC standard. I refer all qualified buyers to someone as I don't breed often and only when I have need of a particular new show dog to keep for myself. All others in my home are neutered unless I have a specific reason to breed them for some quality they posess that will improve my bloodline. NOT ALL show dogs need to be bred, though there are some so called folk who think that having an AKC title automatically means they should be.

I do home visits on all my own buyers, meet with them at length and pre-qualify them. Sometimes many times. I also do the same to assist IGRF, the Rescue arm of IGCA in doing home visits for prospective Rescue homes. I donate my time when needed to pick dogs up or deliver them to foster homes sometimes too.

From your instant reaction it sounds like you have absolutely no idea what a truly responsible breeder does or how we work.
Perhaps you need to educate yourself a bit on what responsible breeding is all about. Because it surely is not about pumping out puppies and selling willy nilly to anyone who has a credit card.

A question was asked and I added my information for that person, as well as my concerns about raising two pups at one time. Whatever you wish to read into that, it certainly wasn't jealousy or spite. What an interesting imagination you have.

Vikki
Sasha l.
sashaL
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
My wife and I recently brought home two 5-month-olds, and despite the coats we're using they aren't too happy about the cold and the rain.

Do any of you have recommendations for great outdoor clothing that your IGs love for Nothern California winter weather?

Houndzinthehood.com

The full neck heavy fleece is good for the very cold early morning walks around here (Almaden Valley); we bought one for visiting Eastern WA this Thanksgiving with 4d weather; worked well for going out to go pee. May be a little warm for anything above 50d, especially if lots of running/playing is involved. Is good for a leisurely walk even at 50-60d. I check her ears constantly to see if she's warm or cold in it. They have lighter weight and neckless fleeces also that I'm going to buy. Very well made and good quality. Gorgeous on her. Every single person, young or old, male or female coo's over how she looks in it. She looks like a fasion model in it with the turtleneck... I'll load a photo of it on the site.
-sasha
Sasha l.
sashaL
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
i posted pics of Jinks in her jacket on facebook that everyone can see. search for sasha lazetic on facebook to look at them.
-s