Join us for the monthly gathering of the South County Airport Pilots Association. Guests are welcome! We start gathering at 5:30 PM, serve dinner* at 6, hold a business meeting at 6:45, and provide this speaker presentation at 7 PM.
Flying Angel Flights
Angel Flight West arranges free transportation by volunteer private pilots for people with compelling needs.
Learn how the service works, who is served and what it’s like to be an Angel Flight pilot. Topics will include:
- Quick overview of the Angel Flight West organization: its mission, history, territory, size
- Angel Flight pilots, requirements and the application process
- How people request an Angel Flight
- How pilots match their interests and ability to passenger needs
- The process: from flight assignment to passenger drop-off
- Safe practices for flights, including the go / no go decision, interacting with passengers, communicating with ATC
- Examples of flights that illustrate a variety of missions
About the speaker:
SCAPA member Bette Gardner has been an Angel Flight pilot since 2009, and she has served as an Angel Flight outreach volunteer. She got her private ticket in 1978 at San Carlos Airport. After 5 years, she put flying on hold for 20 years while raising a family and building a career. In 2005, Bette resumed flying and earned her instrument rating. Her dream airplane, a 2006 Columbia 350, is based at South County.
Bette co-owns HealthWorks, a management consulting firm, and she enjoys making pottery when she isn’t flying.
*Dinner $15 members, $20 non-members