The Southeast Ukers Message Board › 8 string ukes.

8 string ukes.

Ron M.
Woodcutterron
West Point, GA
Post #: 983
Saw no discussions yet, so hey I'll toss this in the ring. I got an Oscar Schmidt 8 string tenor uke a few months ago, very interesting sound, heheh. The Low G string seems to really overwhelm the rest of the strings, it works well with some songs, but others, seems a little out of place.

I heard ya generally don't finger pick with an 8 string, but seems to work okay once you get your fingers used to targeting two strings instead of one. Any of ya'll play one of these?
Alan T.
user 13808412
Decatur, GA
Post #: 3
Sounds like fun. I haven't played an 8 string uke but spent years with 12 string guitars.

If the G course has a high and a low G it seem like you could sort of select the one that was louder by the way you pick it perhaps? Weirdly, I just started using a thumb pick with my uke at practice last night. Played it that way for an hour or two and enjoyed it a lot. Selecting the high G on the upstroke would seem to be possible.