Abbeyfest is a fantastic local mini-festival - with lots of events - live music , stand-up comedy, theatre and more:
The Friday music evenings (mainly Soul music) are FREE and OPEN-AIR:
The music kicks off at 8pm but I'd like to meet at 7 pm so we can ensure we're near the 'stage' and so we can be seated together (it's jam packed come 8pm)...but also so we can chat, drink, eat before the music gets under way. The open air music evenings are thoroughly enjoyable and a great way to make the most of the summer sun (hopefully!!!) and long evenings in a local setting.
See below for more event info & re what you need to know for the event/evening.
A terrific singer in the Soul/R&B tradition Imaani’s cv is long and impressive. She first came to prominence as the UK’s 1998 entrant to the Eurovision Song contest (one of the better choices!) where she was runner up and went on to produce a highly successful single that charted around the World. She then moved on to work with Dub Cospiracy (with whom she again charted). Her worldwide tours, television, live and recorded output includes work with the likes of Gloria Gaynor, Carleen Anderson, Michael Bolton, Lulu and Beverley Knight. Most recently she completed her 5th World tour as lead singer with the iconic band “Incognito” with whom she has had a long association. A powerful and charismatic vocalist this is a rare chance to hear this enormously experienced and highly regarded singer perform at the Club. “the magnificent vocals of Imaani, who weaves her magic over a backdrop of funk guitar and old-school synths” DJ Times; “Imaani’'s beautiful vocals are the standout element” JazzproJect
DRINKS & FOOD:
- There's a pub and
- some restaurtants: Pizza Hut/Kentucky Fried Chicken/ a British Cafe / a Belgian Cafe/ Thai, Italian, Indian & Caribbean restaurants plus
- stalls selling booze and food (cooked food and snacks).
WHAT TO BRING:
- picnic blanket or towel - to sit on (else you'll be sitting on concrete!)
- enough cash - as I'm not sure if eg the stalls would take cards (there's no cashpoint on site)
- sunscreen and
- a warm top layer (as it can get windy/chilly as it's open air) plus
- an umbrella in case of a shower; if it's wet - do still come along - it shouldn't be cold & hopefully even if it rains it won't last long.
Merton Abbey Mills is walking distance from Colliers Wood or South Wimbledon tube stations - please check the weblink below for how to get from the station to the venue (please don't contact me for directions). Note the meet-up google map link is wrong - but the link below is correct & clear:
Parking restrictions are subject to change so please read the signs before you park, but from what I'm aware this is what's available:
- between Colliers Wood or South Wimbledon tube stations and the venue there is parking on the side streets, before you get to the venue - it's pay and display but it'll be free from 6.30pm - so this is probably the best option if you're driving - as then you're not restricted to 2-3 hrs - which you will be if you use any of the options below....
-in Abbey Mills for free - for 2 hours (you have to display a ticket - but the ticket is free for the 1st 2 hours) - parking is limited in Abbey Mills
- in Tandem Centre for free - for 3 hours (no ticket needed) - there's plenty of parking there in evening
- in Savacentre for free - for 3 hours (no ticket needed) - plenty of parking