Abbeyfest is a fantastic local mini-festival - with lots of events - live music , stand-up comedy, theatre and more:
The Friday music evenings (mainly Soul music) are FREE and OPEN-AIR:
The music kicks off at 8pm but I'd like to meet at 7 pm so we can ensure we're near the 'stage' and so we can be seated together (it's jam packed come 8pm)...but also so we can chat, drink, eat before the music gets under way. The open air music evenings are thoroughly enjoyable and a great way to make the most of the summer sun (hopefully!!!) and long evenings in a local setting.
See below for more event info & re what you need to know for the event/evening.
MORE INFO TO FOLLOW RE THE SINGER/BAND
DRINKS & FOOD:
- There's a pub and
- some restaurtants: Pizza Hut/Kentucky Fried Chicken/ a British Cafe / a Belgian Cafe/ Thai, Italian, Indian & Caribbean restaurants plus
- stalls selling booze and food (cooked food and snacks).
WHAT TO BRING:
- picnic blanket or towel - to sit on (else you'll be sitting on concrete!)
- enough cash - as I'm not sure if eg the stalls would take cards (there's no cashpoint on site)
- sunscreen and
- a warm top layer (as it can get windy/chilly as it's open air) plus
- an umbrella in case of a shower; if it's wet - do still come along - it shouldn't be cold & hopefully even if it rains it won't last long.
Merton Abbey Mills is walking distance from Colliers Wood or South Wimbledon tube stations - please check the weblink below for how to get from the station to the venue (please don't contact me for directions). Note the meet-up google map link is wrong - but the link below is correct & clear:
Parking restrictions are subject to change so please read the signs before you park, but from what I'm aware this is what's available:
- between Colliers Wood or South Wimbledon tube stations and the venue there is parking on the side streets, before you get to the venue - it's pay and display but it'll be free from 6.30pm - so this is probably the best option if you're driving - as then you're not restricted to 2-3 hrs - which you will be if you use any of the options below....
-in Abbey Mills for free - for 2 hours (you have to display a ticket - but the ticket is free for the 1st 2 hours) - parking is limited in Abbey Mills
- in Tandem Centre for free - for 3 hours (no ticket needed) - there's plenty of parking there in evening
- in Savacentre for free - for 3 hours (no ticket needed) - plenty of parking
I started the group because there wasn't any other type of group like this. I've met some great folks in the group who have become close friends and have also met some amazing business owners.
— Bill, started New York City Gay Craft Beer Lovers