The Raleigh-Cary Spanish Meetup Group Message Board › Immersion - Trip to Ecuador

Immersion - Trip to Ecuador

bcosta
Belen-Cotopaxi
Group Organizer
Raleigh, NC
Hello guys: Would you like to go to Ecuador for an immersion course?

I have been asked to go to Ecuador to make an inventory of things that a farm has. I will be counting cows, horses, and machinery that could be sold. And then sell it or auction it. For the things that I can not sale, I need to find organizations that will be glad to get donations of used things. So, we will be doing not just the inventory. We will be doing marketing and selling.

I was wondering, if anybody of you would like to go with me. We will be working at least 8 hrs a day.

We will speak ONLY in Spanish for the whole trip. And everybody there will be talking to you.
We will be staying in a hostal.

The plan is to go from Wednesday the 18th of April to the 16th of May.

Let me know if you are interested.

Any Level of Spanish is welcome!
A former member
Post #: 5
Hi,

How much does it cost?

Thanks,

Natasha
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Belen, I would also like to know the cost and can we go for "part " of the trip ? Thanks, Mary
bcosta
Belen-Cotopaxi
Group Organizer
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 257
Hello:
Sorry for the dates confusion. The trip is from Abril to May of this year. But, be aware that the dates are not set in stone yet. We will know in two or three weeks, the exact date.

biggrinI am sending a list of expenses you will have:

• Immersion course = $0 (see explanation below)
  • Ticket to Ecuador from RDU = $800 to $1200 per person
  • Hostal or Family stay = $20 per day per room. Room could be for 1, 2 or 3 people.
  • Food = Food is not expensive in Ecuador.
  • Transportation = This is the most expensive thing. (see explanation below)
  • Tours of Ecuador = Extra price depending on the tour.

--------- Detailed information:

a) Immersion Course:
The cost for me talking to you 24/7 for a month & for arranging this trip will be zero.
I need help, so I think is only fair that we do a swap. Your labor for my spanish immersion course.
I love to teach so, I will be correcting you when you need it. And everybody else will be talking in Spanish all around you. But all of that has no cost to you.

b) Ticket to Ecuador
Now, the ticket to go to Ecuador usually cost around $800 - $1200 per person from the Raleigh-Durham Airport. I will be traveling with American Airlines. I have not bought the tickets yet, since we are not sure about the dates yet.

c) Room & board
I need to know how many people will be going to see if we are staying in a hostal or with a family.
Both will have a cost of around $20/day per room. Most likely we can put at least two people in each room.
The food is wonderfull! A great breakfast will cost you around $5. A great 3 course meal lunch or dinner is around $7 to $15. If you buy it already prepared.

d) Transportation will be the most expensive thing we will have to pay.
We will be using only "private" transportation. That is the safest way to travel in Ecuador now a days.
I need to know how many people will be going so I can divide the price by all of us.

e) Tourism - obviously, I would like for you to work every day of the month with me. But, since you will be in Ecuador, you may be doing some visiting around the area. I can recomend different guides and travel agency for you to do this.
Click below for some areas that you could tour:
http://hotelcotopaxie...­

shockIMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE. shock

shockPlease read this information on:
"How YOu can keep YOURSELF safe in another country"
This is really important. Please read it.

shockPlease check the website of US Department of State for more information.
evelyn
user 9591959
Cary, NC
Tell me a little about the work we will be doing. Why are we doing this work?? For what purpose? Is it personal? Do you belong to an organization?
bcosta
Belen-Cotopaxi
Group Organizer
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 259
Yes... and Yes...
Yes, it is personal... and Yes, we are helping with donation as a family-organization.

Well, my dad died a couple of years ago. And my mom was stuck with a dairy farm to take care of.
She was always the best with her organic vegetable gardens. But, my dad was in charge of the cows and the animals.

So, we are trying to sell the farm. But, first we need to do an inventory of everything. And if possible sell or donate some things.

About the donation, my dad with the farm´s profit used to make donations to 2 elementary and preschools in the area. So, many people around the area dependend on him.

When he died, we were going to stop the donations, but we couldn´t. We needed to keep doing it for my dad. And we did. It was hard, but we did.

For more information about the"No Begging Project": http://www.hotelcotop...­

We are not an organization, we are just a family trying to make a difference. So, we got together with some hotels around the farm area to see if they can help us raised money. Also, some of the money from the "Raleigh-Cary Spanish Meetup" yearly membership contribution goes to pay for the "No begging Project".

Anyway, I hope you can join me. Belen
bcosta
Belen-Cotopaxi
Group Organizer
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 261

The trip is set to go.

LETS MEET TO TALK ABOUT IT - NEXT WEDNESDAY (02/22/12) IN "tomemonos unos traguitos" event.

Here are the costs so far for the trip. I don't think they are too bad.

- Ticket to Ecuador - right now the prices are great. Around $700 round trip.
- $10 / person - pick up / droping of at the airport.
- $30 / day for private transportation in Quito * (see note below)
- $10 / person for private transportation from Quito to Latacunga (rural area)
- rent of 300 / month for a 3 bedroom bungalow at Latacunga.
- rent of $300/month for a 3 bedroom apartment in Quito. (if we need it)
- food is very cheap.
- Internet access: a couple of dollars eacg time you use in a ciber cafe.

We will be mostly in Latacunga, but on the weekends, it will be nice to go to Quito.

Important note:
I am putting a lot of attention to "private trasnsportation", since now a days many people have been robbed when picking up regular taxis on the steet & using public transportation.
It is much cheaper.... but I don't think is worthy.

The maximum amount of people that can go, is 4. More than that we will need to hire another driver.

Please let me know if you can really go, to make the apartment and bungalow payments as soon as possible.

Belen
A former member
Looks like a great way to improve my Spanish. I have a daughter graduating from State this May so unfortunately cannot join in. Will look forward to other immersion opportunities -